Chapter 17

“I- I didn’t know if I could get through it! I love you! God, I love you so much! I’m in love with you (y/n)!”

You froze. Those words echoed through your head. You smiled slightly, a small blush on your cheeks. 

You looked up at Deku and your smile went away. It’s not… it’s not Izu-chan’s voice that I’m hearing…

You took a step back from him, listening to Dabi’s voice in your head. Those were the words you wanted him to say to you all this time…

“(y/n) chan?” Deku asked, a nervous smile on his face.

The voice in your head slowly changed to Deku’s. Hearing him say “I love you”... you felt a sharp pain in your chest. One worse than what you felt earlier.

You slowly looked up at him. He was smiling sweetly, a blush on his face. More tears rolled down your cheeks as you thought about what you had to do.

“(y/n)! What's wrong? Why… wh-why are you crying..?” Deku’s voice shivered. He looked into your eyes. They were filled with pain and guilt…

“I-I…” you stuttered slightly, trying to find the right words. “Izu-chan- I-”

He knew what you were gonna say, but he didn’t want to accept it, he didn’t want it to be true… “I really do love you…” he whispered, pulling you into a hug.

The pain in your chest grew as he went further into denial. You tried to break free of his grip, but he wouldn’t let go.

“I-Izu… let me go! You’re holding me too tight!”

Deku loosened his hug, but he didn’t let go. He didn’t want to let the truth sink in.

“Izu let me go…” you said, wiggling out of his grip. When you came close to freedom he tightened his arms again.

At this point you’d had enough. You faced away from him and grabbed both of his wrists, prying them away from you. You let go of one and held onto the other with both hands, using all your strength to pull his arm down and flip him over onto his back.

Deku looked up at you with shock, tears in his eyes as well. “(y/n)... I-I’m so sorry…”

“Midoriya! You… you are my best friend… It kills me that I have to say this to you. Especially after I've just returned… But! I don’t love you-- not romantically. I’m… in love with someone else…”

Now you were both silently crying. You held your hand out to help Deku up, which he accepted.

“(y/n)... I-” Deku started to say, wiping his eyes.

“Don’t! Say… anything. I’ll see you tomorrow… People will probably be asking me a lot of questions, so we don't need to talk then either. I think it’s best if we stay away from each other for a while… at least… until you’ve moved on.” You’re voice cracked as you spoke. More tears poured as you turned away from him.

Deku reached out toward you as you walked away from him. He was sobbing... 

You walked up the steps and inside. The place was empty… everyone really was asleep… 

As you walked you looked at the clock on the wall… it's been awhile since you've seen one of those… the time read 1:48 am. Wow, you must have been running through the woods for hours…

Talking with Deku must have distracted you from the pain you were in. You felt like fainting. 

You walked upstairs to your room. Looking around, you smiled at all the things you've missed while you were gone. Your posters, your anime figures, even your body pillow… they brought it back for you.

You wiped your eyes, trying to dry the tears, but it was no use. They just kept streaming down your face.

You fell over onto the bed. Your legs felt like cement. You pulled the body pillow close to you and wrapped your legs around it. It smelled slightly of smoke… 

You buried your face into the pillow and began sobbing, this whole day had been an emotional roller coaster. Everything around you started to feel fuzzy as you slowly fell asleep.

The next morning you woke up around 9 am. School had started about 15 minutes ago. Now, you could rush to class and surprise everyone there… Or… You could just stay here and wait for them to come back.

You decided on the latter and sat up to look around the room. Only Deku knew you were back, and you were sure that he wouldn't tell anyone. It's not like he would really want to see you anyway… Not after last night...

School would be over in six hours... You thought of what to do before then. As you thought, you made your way downstairs to get some breakfast.

You saw that the class had made tamago kake gohan for breakfast! And they didn't clean up... After being stuck in a house where all you could do was clean, this bothered you. 

You were about to start cleaning up everything when your growling stomach interrupts you... 

You sighed and turned the rice cooker back on, just to reheat the rice a bit. After about five minutes you were done preparing your breakfast and began eating. It was absolutely delicious. Tsuyu must have made the sauce...

As you eat you begin thinking about what would happen today. You needed to go see your parents, but that would require an overnight train ride. It wasn’t safe for you to go alone... especially with your quirk. You’d have to ask one of your friends to go with you.

Right! Your friends. You wanted to surprise them... but in a good way. 

You looked down at your almost empty bowl and smiled.

I’ll make them dinner! That’ll be the perfect surprise for when they get back!

You smiled to yourself as you began cleaning up. You’d probably watch anime for a few hours and then start cooking around two or so...

You looked over to the schedule they made on the wall. They had after school duties today! That should take them a few hours, and give you more time to be a lazy slob!

You sighed happily and made your way upstairs, you just couldn’t wait for them to come back!