15. Going Rogue

A/N Hey guys I don't usually put warnings in my book. I did want to say, though, that this chapter contains some added violence. Child abuse, and even a scene that contains a suicide attempt. I will warn you that the suicide scene may be triggering before the scene. It's not super gory or anything but I want to make sure I don't trigger anyone.

❂ ❂ ❂ ❂

       My father and I stood outside, per Abby's instructions. My father kept an arm wrapped around my small frame and pulled me closer to him. Abby came into view and the both of us perked up. I wiped my sweaty palms against my pants as my father and I stepped closer.

"Jared, I did everything I could." She says to my dad sadly.

I look up to my father not fully understanding what she meant. My heart knew the truth but I didn't want to believe it. A vacancy entered the eyes of my beloved father. He let go of me and took a few steps backwards.

"I'm so sorry. If you want to we can have a service for her." She says to him, trying to earn his attention.

He shakes his head, "There won't be a service Abby."

"But there are many people who would like to say goodbye to her. Including your twelve year old daughter." She states with a little more anger in her voice.

"If you want a service do it yourself." He steps forward getting in Abby's face, "But as far as I'm concerned she's dead, and there's nothing that will make that any easier."

I let out a small gasp as I realize what I had been trying to deny. My mother was dead. My beautiful, loving mother was dead. And it was my fault. Tears start streaming down my cheeks, both my father and Abby watching me.

"It's all my fault." I sob, "I killed my mother!"

My father carries a look of disgust over his face, while Abby's holds pure empathy. She drops to her knees and holds my shoulders. I look down to the ground but Abby lifts my chin with her hand.

"This is not your fault, Lacey." She tells me, "It's not your fault your mother got sick. Understand?"

I slowly nod my head. And look up to my father but he was gone.

❂             ❂             ❂             ❂

"Bring out the girl, Bellamy!" Murphy yells angrily from outside.

"Why, Charlotte?" Bellamy asks her with saddened eyes.

"I was just trying to slay my demons, like you told me."

My eyes widened and I took a step closer, "What the hell is she talking about?" I ask angrily, "Wells is dead because you you?"

"She misunderstood me." He says to me in a pleading tone, before looking back to the girl, "Charlotte, that is not what I meant."

"Bring the girl out now!"

"Please don't let them hurt me." She cries.