2. May We Meet Again

❂             ❂             ❂             ❂

I've been helping Abby in the operating room, staying out of sight. There was a room I would stay in and I would hide in the floor boards when guards came through. Abby shared her rations with me, it wasn't much but it was enough, actually more than I was used to.

They had a funeral for me, at least that's what Abby said. More like a memorial. Abby told me she had to keep the fact I was alive from Clarke. I knew it was hard on her but I also knew it was what had to be done.

Saving lives helped me with the guilt. It didn't take it away, but saving lives helped me get through it, so I don't feel like I'm drowning. The guilt still gets to me sometimes, but I wouldn't change what happened if I could.

Time began to move quickly, much different than how it would be with my dad. Time used to drag on with him, mostly because I lived in fear every second of my life. But here things flowed, like a river, constantly moving, the way life should be. It had almost been two years since the day I died.

"Come with me." Abby says interrupting my thoughts as I practiced my stitching at the hem of my shirt.

Before I have time to respond, she has already taking my arm and pulled me along with her. She begins looking around before turning a corner. It takes me a minute but I soon realize what she's doing, she was taking me out of the medical bay.

My eyes widen at the sudden realization, quickly pulling my arm from her grasp and trying to run back to where I knew I was safe. She catches me before I can disappear. Her eyes are wide with determination while mine were full of fear.

"What the hell are you doing?" I ask, my voice trembling.

"Lacey, we don't have time to do talk about this." She responds sternly.

"Abby just tell me." I beg, my eyes beginning to water.

"You're going to earth. Its the only place where you'll be safe."

"Safe? No one has been down there for 97 years, we don't know if it's really safe." I shake my head rapidly trying to pull my arm from her grasp.

She turns to me taking my shoulders in her hands, "This is your chance, Lace, to be free, to be one of the first people on the ground. You won't have to hide anymore, you will be far from everything that ever happened to you, you can finally be you."

I freeze for a moment, absorbing everything thing she was telling me. She was right, this was my chance, and I didn't want to miss it.

I nod my head obediently, and she smiles once again grabbing my arm and pulling me down the hallway. We moved quickly, but still remained cautious. I also didn't want to be so close to freedom and then be caught by a guard.

As if God himself had heard my thoughts, I ran into someone as I rounded the corner. When I looked at him he was in a guards uniform, and he was holding a gun. He was around my age. Abby and I hold our breaths and don't move.

He looks at us  with a blank stare. He didn't know who I was. Another guard comes around the corner taking his arm just as Abby has mine. I recognized him, he was Commander Shumway, and he definitely knew who I was.

He didn't move though. He didn't make a move to arrest me or say anything. He just looked to the young boy next to him and clenched his jaw. That's when I realized the younger boy wasn't a guard, and he definitely wasn't authorized to have a gun.

Commander Shumway sneers at us, "I'll let both of you live, if you never speak of this encounter." He growls.

The youngster looked confused, looking back and forth at each one of us. Shumway was going to let me live? Me? He hates me, he would jump at the chance to arrest me. I killed a member of the guard, they don't take that lightly. I didn't question it, or at least I didn't have time to. Abby had already secured a tighter grip on my arm and drug me down the hall.

We reach a loading dock for an exodus ship. They were loading all the prisoners onto it. When she told me I was being sent to Earth I thought on an escape pod, not an Exodus ship. Those are reserved for when we believe it is safe to go back to Earth. This makes no sense. What the hell is happening?

"Abby what's happening?" I ask her grabbing her arm and turning her towards me.

"They are sending 100 prisoners to the ground, to see if the earth is survivable." I understood why they wanted to do that. Because of Clarke's father who discovered that the Ark was dying, he thought the people deserved to know, so did Clarke. That's why he was floated and she was put in solitary, "Its your chance Lacey, you will finally be free."

            Abby latches a wristband around my arm. I wince, as the small monitors enter my skin. Luckily she does it quick so I soon get used to it.

            "This monitors your vital signs. All the he prisoners have one, this is so we can see if it's safe to come down after you." She explains.

            "Thank you Abby." I say engulfing her in a hug, "May we meet again."

            "May we meet again." She says before ushering me into the drop ship.

❂             ❂             ❂             ❂

Alright so chapter two is up! I know it's short and it's just a bit of a filler for the next chapter. Which will be longer, I promise! Love you all.

•callie•