Ch 2.

"Are you a boy?" My boss had asked.

"N-n-no." The little kid stammered in fright.

"You mean to tell me..." He couldn't finish his words because even though he studied the grubby kid, a glimpse of surprise revealed in his eyes. "Hmm, we can't certainly have another girl..."

This kid, she was afraid that her only hope to live was about to be rejected. She had no choice but to kneel on the floor and beg in misery-with broken tears streaming down her flush cheeks. "Please! I'll pretend to be a boy and no one will notice! Give me a chance sir and I'll do anything you want!"

Regret, pitiful, shame are the words to describe this scene. She had disrespected her own gender and traded her own identity for a place to live and serve under loyalty to this horrible man.

It took him five minutes before he spoke. "Alright, you have a deal. Since you're an orphan and you have nowhere else to go, be grateful I'm giving you an opportunity to stay in my house."

"Thank you sir!" The girl had bowed her head so many times, she banged the hard surface like a hammer hitting a nail.

"Under one condition." He added, making the girl nervous again. "You clearly stated that you will follow my orders and that's the price. Starting tomorrow, you will be training with Gorden, who is now your "Uncle"," He emphasized. "And if I hear or see you make a wrong move or even a small flaw, I want you out."

Those words felt like the devil had said it instead of this powerful, elderly man. However, she wondered IF she was truly dealing with the real devil who was in disguise.

Not minding the dirt on her raggedy outfit, she wiped away her sadness and replaced it with a dead-on serious look. "I promise, I won't disappoint you...sir."

"And you won't mind pretending to be a boy? Act like a boy, walk like a boy, dress like a boy, talk like a boy? All that you are now, will you lose yourself and change to a new identity, a new name, a whole different person?"

Confusion overcome her thinking mind. Is it such a problem to live as a girl? Why must she sacrifice herself and become a new person, better yet, why a boy?

Nevertheless, she didn't have the courage to demand an absurd answer from him. She just simply nodded without a care to whatever happens to her.

The old man smiled (more like a sickening grin) and cackled like she had entertained him. "Gorden, did you ever meet this kind of girl before? No? Well, whoever her mother was, bless that woman for giving birth to a wonderful child such as her right here. Wonderful indeed..."

While the man was mumbling incoherent words to himself, this girl didn't pay attention nor did she ran out and broke off the deal. She was young that time and the only thing on her mind was a warm house, a cozy bed to rest her head, a bath to bathe in, and fresh food with clean clothes. What a silly naive girl.

She should have backed out and escaped while she still had the chance, but she chose to be controlled.

Who was that child? 

Of course, that girl was me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding! You mean to tell me I was frantic for nothing! God, I'm such an idiot! Of course there would be nothing, this house is totally secured with an alarm system-even the windows are barricaded with steel bars! Plus two well-trained bodyguards (me and my Master).

Sarah sternly narrowed her violet eyes at me, showing lines between her thin black brows. "Ever heard of knocking?"

I matched her glaring stare with my own and placed my hands on my hips. "I did, many times. Now mind explaining me why you were screaming like a kidnapper was here?"