CHAPTER 6 ✨

With brisk steps, I entered our elegant living room to discover my father, comfortably reclining on the couch. He was the guiding candlelight in the times of troubles, and the unwavering support that propelled me forward. He made sure I knew that I wasn't the center of the universe, but I was the center of his.

"Come on, let's watch cricket," he said, gesturing with his fingers.

"Sorry, I'm not feeling up to it right now."

"Are you alright?" His curious voice probed.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm just really tired."

"I get it, son," he nodded in understanding.

Our leather couch weathered well beyond its prime, now bears small tears. The once vibrant tan hue has faded under the relentless sun streaming through our windows. Probing a hole with my finger, I wiggled it, revealing the white foam beneath that has remained shielded from daylight for almost a decade. Retracting my finger, I pivoted and allowed myself to collapse onto the seat, relishing the satisfying thump.

"Ask why your son is spending a lot!" My mom snickered from the kitchen.

"Jai doesn't spend money on useless things," my dad defended, patting my shoulders.

"I know but still, it's good to keep an eye on him," Mom replied, her tone playful.

"You're right, as always!" Dad replied with a chuckle. "Jaikar, how is your Civils preparation going on?"

His question ignited a spark of fear within me, intensifying with each word he spoke, like pouring gasoline on a fire until it blazed into a fiery inferno. I opted to stay silent, unable to find the right words to extinguish the flames of my anxiety.

"If you are not working hard enough, why did you choose civils? Don't choose something because someone said it would be good or someone else is doing it too. Choose it when you believe you can work hard for it. Choose it when you can find a future in it!"

"I chose Civils because I believe that having the power to serve society adds purpose to my life. I'm confident that I'll succeed, even if it doesn't happen right away." My hand clenched into a resolute fist.

"Best of luck! I hope to see you commence your preparation soon."

"Thank you, Dad," I whispered, my mind consumed by fear.

The fear prevailing told my heart to bleed, right out of my chest.
The fear prevailing told my legs to go weak and my stomach to lurch.
The fear prevailing told that there was nothing to fear but fear itself.

A glimmer of hope persisted, a tiny flicker that refused to be extinguished by the winds of despair. I stood patiently on the terrace, awaiting Ritu's arrival. The silver linings of the clouds were gently brushed by the wings of birds, seemingly supported by invisible strings. I yearned for them, to lift me back up whenever I felt down.

Two weeks later, I came across her while she was out for a jog. The soft rays of the setting sun cast a radiant glow on her hair, each strand dancing freely in the breeze. Her eyes sparkled with a warm smile as our gazes met. It felt like I was meant to cherish the beauty of her presence.

"Ritu, I'm so sorry for what I said earlier."

"It's okay, I'm sorry too. I was just really on edge back then," she replied with a sigh.

"I understand, but that's no excuse for my behavior. I should have been more considerate," I said, feeling remorseful.

"It's alright, we all have our moments," Ritu reassured me with a smile. "Okay, let's just move on from this. How's your day been?"