CHAPTER 16✨

I rode through familiar streets, each corner seemed to confront the shadows lurking within. I couldn't shake off the burden no matter how fast I rode. Finally reaching home, I took a deep breath, steeling myself. I dismounted my bike, my heart hammered against my ribcage with a fervor that matched the rhythm of a war drum. I pushed open the front door, bracing for the storm that awaited me.

"Oh, thank goodness you're home!" Mom exclaimed, her voice trembling with emotion. "What happened to you?"

I swallowed hard, the events of the past night still fresh in my mind. "On my way back from the party, a stranger attacked."

Mom gasped, her hand instinctively flying to cover her mouth in shock. I could see her hands trembling as she reached up to gently touch the bandages wrapped around my head. Dad's silence was deafening, his eyes locked onto mine. The weight of their worry and the gravity of the situation settled heavily in the room, creating a tense atmosphere that seemed to suffocate us all.

"I fainted, but luckily a newspaper delivery boy found me and helped me get admitted to the hospital," I continued, trying to downplay the severity of my injuries.

Mom's eyes widened in alarm. "You fainted! What did the doctor say?"

I nodded, feeling a pang of guilt for worrying her. "Yeah, they ran some tests and checked me over. They said I had a mild concussion and some minor injuries, but nothing serious. They kept me overnight for observation just to be safe."

Mom wrapped her arms around me softly. "We are just glad you're safe, Jai."

I managed to put on a weak smile. "Thanks, Mom, Dad. I'll be okay, I promise!"

Dad inquired, "Do you have any information about the boy who saved you?"

"Yes, Dad! His name is Mukul."

Mom squeezed my hand, her eyes shimmering with tears. "We'll have to find a way to thank him somehow."

I smiled a swell of warmth in my chest. "Yeah, I'll never forget what he did for me."

After our discussion about showing appreciation, I felt immensely grateful for my caring parents. Exhausted from the day's events, both physically and emotionally, I sought solace in the quiet of my room. Just as I was beginning to drift off to sleep, breaking the silence, my phone rang, it was Ritu for the very first time. Did she find out that it was me who texted her?

"Good morning, Ritu. Did you sleep well?"

"Sleep well? How could I sleep after what you did!" Ritu's voice exploded with anger.

"I don't understand. What did I do?"

"Rahul came all the way just to meet me," Ritu began, her voice tense. "And you brutally assaulted him, with your dog!"

I stammered, my mind racing to comprehend. "I -I thought he was-"

"You thought he was a threat?" Ritu's harsh voice carried a sharp tone of disbelief.

"But he's the one who attacked me," I clarified, frustration seeping into my tone.

"Stop it, Jaikar! I'm not blind. First, you saved my father, and now you hit my cousin." Ritu's irritation was palpable, her disappointment cutting through the air.

"I saved your father because I care about you, not because I have some ulterior motive. As for Rahul, I didn't lay a finger on him. You are misunderstanding me..."

Ritu scoffed. "A misunderstanding? He's in the hospital because of you! How am I supposed to believe anything you say?"

My heart sank at her words, the weight of accusations crushing me. "Ritu, I'm not making this up. He attacked me angrily, and my friend's dog reacted to defend me."