CHAPTER 18✨

"Hey, have you guys heard about the newly renovated Rama temple nearby?" Chaya asked, trying to brighten the mood.

"Yes, I heard it's really beautiful," Meera replied sweetly, her eyes lighting up.

"Let's go for a walk to the temple," Chaya suggested, her gaze shifting between us.

"Sounds like just what I need," I agreed, offering a small nod and a grateful smile.

"Count me in too," Meera chimed in, her expression softening with anticipation.

I walked alongside them, it felt like the world was holding its breath, the air still and serene. We entered a path where the grass was like a plush carpet, inviting us to sink our feet into its softness. Smooth stones peeked through, and a sprinkling of crisp leaves added a crunch underfoot.

At the roadside stall, we paused to buy.
Flowers vibrant, their fragrance high.
Whispers of prayers, their petals splay.
We chose them for the temple's display.

With the offerings in hand, we resumed our journey, the temple's spire visible through the gaps in the trees, urging us onward. Eventually, we arrived at the towering temple gates, a sense of calm washed over us, briefly preparing us for the sacred space that awaited inside.

Standing tall and proud, the Gopuram, a majestic tower waited for us near the entrance like a vigilant guardian, its intricate design and vivid color captured the eye of every devotee. Its presence declared the sanctity of the temple, welcoming all who approached with an unmistakable aura of divine presence.

As we passed under the Gopuram, we entered the Mandapa, a spacious pillared hall, bustling with devotees engaged in prayers. The air was filled with the sweet scent of incense, mingling with the sounds of bells and the soft chanting of hymns.

Stepping onto the Pradakshina Patha, we joined the flow of devotees walking in a clockwise direction. The path, wide and open, was adorned with lush greenery. The people around us walked with bowed heads, their hands clasped in prayer. Some paused at the small shrines along the path, offering flowers and lighting incense sticks, while others sat in a quiet meditation.

At the heart of the temple, the Garbhagriha drew our gaze like a jewel gleaming in a crown. Within, the divine idol of Lord Rama rested in resplendent attire and exquisite jewels. In the gentle flicker of the oil lamps, it almost appeared as if the idol itself was imbued with life, the eyes glowing with compassion and wisdom.

With hearts brimming with reverence, we approached the divine idol of Lord Rama and tenderly offered the fragrant flowers at his feet, each petal a symbol of our devotion. As we bowed our heads in prayer, the priest offered us Prasada, a blessed offering infused with divine grace.

Having received the blessed Prasada, we sat in silent reflection, our hearts overflowing with gratitude and tranquility. After some time, we rose, our spirits uplifted with renewed faith and strength, we made our way out of the temple. It was then that I spotted Ritu standing at the roadside stall, her presence a big surprise.

Approaching her, a sense of unease crept over me. "Hey! What are you doing here?"

"Oh, it's you. What do you want?" Ritu replied, her body turned slightly away.

"I saw you here and came," I said, shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

"Are you trying to turn my friends against me now? They're so dumb," she exclaimed, her disappointment evident in her eyes.

Upon hearing Ritu's words, Meera and Chaya's expressions changed. Meera's eyes filled with sadness, her brows furrowing slightly as she looked away. Chaya, too, seemed affected, her shoulders slumping as she cast a glance in my direction. Feeling the shift in the atmosphere, they both silently moved away from the scene, seeking solace in each other's company.