OS- Modern AU: "I Promise"

"I'm coming over, Rapunzel. Just wait a minute." The line went dead.

"Wait- Cass!" I listened for a second before slamming my  phone down with a frustrated growl. "She didn't even let me finish explaining," I muttered under my breath, shuffling to my feet. My stomach rolled at the movement, but I bit back a wince and forced myself to walk up the stairs. I'd woken up with a splitting headache and a pounding in my body, and hadn't wasted a second before calling my best friend to tell her that cramps would be keeping me from school today.

Cass, however, being the overprotective girl she was, had immediately insisted that she would miss school, too- to come take care of me.

I sighed, pushing open my bedroom door as I shoved my phone into the pouch of my purple and white sweatshirt. This wasn't the first time Cass had overreacted over similar situations. She always wanted to help if she could. "Pascal," I started, walking to the cage of my pet lizard, "you're going to have a bit of company today, it would seem."

He eyed me and simply gobbled up a cricket from his bowl of food.

"You know, I wish she would've just let me finish," I grumbled, grabbing my water bottle from the desk in the corner of my room. "I don't want Cass to fall behind on homework." I sucked in a breath, searching for the ibuprofen pills I kept tucked away. "But my parents aren't home, so I guess there's really no stopping her."

Pascal bumped his head against the glass.

I laughed softly, downed the pills, and burrowed under the thick covers. At least today wouldn't be boring.

"Raps? You upstairs?"

I blinked awake, rubbing my head groggily as I tried and failed to sit up. "Yeah," I managed to croak to my friend, hopefully loud enough for her to hear. "In bed."

"Alright, I'll be up in a second," Cass replied from downstairs.

I settled back onto my pillow, holding the bottle of water to my neck as exhaustion rippled through me. I managed a smile when Cass cracked open the door and poked her head in. "Hey there, you," I said, voice cracking.

Cass gave a soft smile, hands in the pockets of her hunter green jacket. "Hey yourself," she quipped sweetly, coming to sit on the edge of my bed. "How're you holding up?" Her solid weight close to me was comforting.

"Not too hot," I mumbled, grabbing Cass's hand in mine and twining our fingers together. "Did you bring anything to do? I might just be sleeping a lot."

She nodded and ran her thumb over my palm, her bob of black hair swaying. "I grabbed some homework from a few of my teachers before heading over. So I won't fall behind, like how I know you think I will."

I couldn't hold back my smile. "Guilty as charged, ma'am."

She laughed and shook her head, slipping her shoes off. "Need anything before I get myself situated?"

I held up my water bottle. "More ice, maybe. And-"

"Chocolate?" she interrupted, dark hazel eyes twinkling.

My lips curled up. "You know me so well."

Cass shrugged. "Eh. I know myself well enough, too, I suppose. Chocolate is mandatory."

I started to give another laugh but cut off as my stomach protested. My grimace didn't go unnoticed, and I held up a tired hand to stop Cass's worried question about my welfare. "Medicine just hasn't set in yet."

She hesitated, then closed her mouth, dark eyebrows furrowed. "Ok. I'll get more ice and some chocolate and be right back up." She snagged my water bottle and padded to my bedroom door before turning. "Are you sure you'll be fine while I-"

A grin split my face, and I held back my snicker. "Cass, I'll be fine," I insisted. "You'll be downstairs less than a minute."

She frowned, then blinked in confirmation. "Alright. Be right back."

I sighed in amusement and leaned forward to wrap my arms around my knees, stretching the aching muscles in my abdomen. When I had first met Cass, she'd been strictly Cassandra- a distant, cold girl with little to say and even less desire to make friends. I'd been discouraged at first. But I'd seen that Cass was lonely and desperate to prove herself, and after working hard to crack her shell, I'd gotten to know the real person inside.

She had become quick to smile around me, and I had never been happier than the moment I got her to laugh that bright, happy laugh for the first time- almost a month since we had first met. She was strong and kind and brave, and loyal almost to a fault. I'd never met anyone like her- someone so intense and deliriously intoxicating. Now we were nearly inseparable, and it drove my boyfriend crazy. Eugene and Cass knew each other from the police station, where he lived and Cass's dad worked. They teased each other relentlessly.

We made the perfect trio; Cass, Eugene, and I.

And Cass made the perfect best friend.

The girl in question stepped back into my room, freshly cold bottle in one hand, four Hershey's bars in the other. She stopped when she saw my thoughtful gaze on her, a hesitant smile gracing her mouth as she quirked up a brow. "What?"

I sighed. "Oh, nothing." I gave a soft grin and laid my cheek on my knee. "Just waiting for my chocolate, is all."

"Uh huh," Cass said, unconvinced. "Sure."

I shrugged, as if to say "can you really blame me?"

She rolled her eyes and sat back on my bed, offering a candy bar. "Go to sleep, princess. I'll be here the whole day."

I took it gratefully and bit off a deliciously melted piece before flopping down onto my pillow, laughing to myself at the nickname. As the mayor's daughter, Cass hadn't exactly been fond of me at first, but now that we were as close as sisters, she used it in a loving way. "Don't you go anywhere," I muttered through the chocolate as I twisted to snuggle into the blankets, swallowing before adding with a tired yawn, "You promised. Right? You promise?" Now that Cass we here and there was no getting rid of her, I didn't want her to leave.

There was a breathy chuckle, then a warm hand on my back. "I promise."

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH I LOVE YALL