21. RADIANT REVELATION

𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑶𝑷𝑯𝑰𝑳𝑰𝑨

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Missed me that much, huh?" Regulus chuckled, pulling his arms out from their embrace. Eva thought he was going to remove his hand from where it rested on her arm, but as they sat down, he didn't. 

"You wish," she scoffed jokingly. "I'm just happy to be out of the presence of my brother and yours."

"How flattering," he grumbled, earning an airy laugh from the girl. 

Hearing her laugh only reminded him of how much he cared for the girl. Her light giggles came to his ear as a tickle and a bounce, and only a stony-hearted would resist a smile to grace their features. 

Her laughter was the summer rain and the birdsong too, and every time he heard it, no matter the weather, the sun brightened. It was as if her sound lifted a veil from his eyes and allowed him to see the world more clearly. It's funny how laughter can do that, those honest rumblings of the soul.

Her smile was one of happiness growing, much as a spring flower opens. Eva smiled with more than her mouth. He could see how it came from deep inside to illuminate her eyes and unfurl into every part of her.

He despised James for holding back those things that made her happy, for it held back her joyous laughter and a bright smile that he loved.

"What are you thinking about?" Eva softly asked.

"Nothing," he responded, shaking his head. She hummed in response, not pushing it any further.

Regulus felt his stomach twist as Eva rested her head against his shoulder. Her eyes were cast dreamily upon the night's stars as she drifted off into her own imaginary world. 

"Are you ready for Slytherin to beat Ravenclaw in Saturday's match?" he asked mischievously.

"As if," she mocked. "Adan will get the snitch before you even spot it."

He hummed and chuckled lightly. "Are you sure?"

"Most definitely," she responded confidently, flicking her eyes from the sky to those of Regulus. "And if you do get the snitch-"

"Which I will."

"-me, Kamryn, and Ben will have gotten enough points to still beat you."

Though James took away things that made the girl happy, and though Regulus despised the teen, he couldn't help notice the similarities between the two. It wasn't that Eva held herself in any way that posed her as above others, but when she was confident, she held herself with pride.

"I highly doubt Evan and my chasers will give you the chance," he replied with just as much confidence. 

"Okay, little Mr. Captain. We'll see about that," she smirked. 

Regulus was fully aware of Eva's fingers that absentmindedly played with his. They both turned back to the glittering stars, their fingers dancing where they met, with Eva's head atop his shoulder. 

The night sky was like a pitch-black curtain draped over the sky, and twisted, warped shapes that the stars made against the blackness. The milky speckles twirled and danced along the sky in various patterns, tugging at the corners of Regulus's lips in a way that almost made him smile. 

Regulus had not been in a good spot. Well, he still wasn't. The holidays and time with his family had done the opposite of good. He wanted everything to be normal. He wanted his brother back. He didn't want to have to meet expectations set by anyone other than himself.  But that night, under the protection of millions of stars, the beautiful moon, with Eva's head resting on him, he felt as if nothing from his life could touch him. Not a single thing could harm him. He stared up at the sky and studied the silver glow of the moon. 

The moon seemed to smile down at the pair with love so intense it warmed his soul like a fireplace on a cold winter's night. The look that the moon gave him didn't cause the storm to go on inside of him. Instead, a hot blue fire flickered in his large heart and soon started to grow, eating at all of the dark emotions in its path. His worries seemed to burn away as if they were never there. Though he hated to admit it, it was exactly how the girl beside him made him feel. 

Regulus finally wrapped his fingers around Eva's. Her hand was sweaty and intertwined in his. Her hand fixed perfectly in his, her long and thin fingers, completing the space left in his. Her hands were like the missing puzzle piece to Regulus'. Her tiny palm with long, thin fingers. Regulus had the silly thought she could be a pianist. He never got to share his musical talents with anyone, but maybe someday he could teach her. Someday.

Hours later, Eva had coaxed Regulus out of their comfortable silence. As much as she loved the time spent with him, she cared for the boy and knew the thing he needed most was rest.

Regulus waltzed towards her, and for a few moments, they solely stared at each other. Eva felt like her chest was burning, this warm, gooey feeling overflowing her insides. Then, with no warning, Regulus closed the scope in between them and kissed her.

For such swift action, it wasn't aggressive at all. It was soft, his lips brushing hers for only a few seconds - gentle - and most of all, utterly tranquil. The kiss blossomed the butterflies in her stomach and for a second, everything surrounding the girl seemed complete still. Yet, her heart was still throbbing outside of her chest, like every portion of her body was aching to get closer to Regulus.

Regulus drew back, his appearance solemn. "Goodnight, Love," he said decisively, kissing her cheek and strolling quietly out of the room.