27. MELLOW MOMENTS

𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑶𝑷𝑯𝑰𝑳𝑰𝑨

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Despite when he had a sore throat, Regulus did not quite enjoy drinking tea. It tasted like hot water with only a hint of flowers. He much preferred something stronger in flavor, like a rich hot chocolate or long-brewed cup of black coffee. But in instances like these, he hardly minded the distant flowery taste. It was Eva's favorite drink, and at that moment, all he cared about was the girl laying against him. 

Her stomach warm with hot tea, her heart beating furiously against her chest as her head lay on Regulus' shoulder. Eva felt in bliss throughout chaos. Tension was constantly getting thicker in the wizarding world but she never felt more free. 

It had been a month, give or take, since the two had shared a moment like such. After the incident that left Eva scared of wandering at night, they hardly met at the astronomy tower as they used to. 

But now, as Eva guided Regulus' head to her lap, neither of them minded. She ran her hands through his hair, the thick black curls sliding between the gaps of her fingers and tickling her skin. 

Regulus stared up at the girl, studying her features from a new angle. He had already memorized everything about her, not much was left to be discovered. He memorized the slight bump in her nose, the freckle beneath her jaw, the single tuft of hair that always fell towards her eye, the way her cheeks dusted with pink during the cooler nights. His racing mind would come to a pause every time his gaze rested on the beautiful girl. 

She had her imperfections, but Regulus thought she was damn near perfect. 

He had gotten hot tea and peach muffins, her favorite, and brought them to the astronomy tower for the bittersweet moment. Bittersweet, as it was their last night at Hogwarts in their fifth year.

Their Ordinary Wizarding Level Exams were far behind them, both knowing they passed with flying colors. Their N.E.W.T level classes would begin after the summer and Eva would have to start thinking about jobs for study. Regulus already knew what he would do after school, he had been bound to it since birth. 

Hogwarts had become a place to meet new friends, make new bonds, to have space to become the young adult version of himself. It was a place to grow, mature, and expand to possibilities of what he had previously believed impossible.

Part of him wished it would not end. 

He wished he did not have to mature, or grow, or face his inevitable future. 

He wished he could stay with Eva, because he knew that with the future his parents planned out for him, she would fit no where in the picture. 

"You know," Eva spoke gingerly, "I really enjoy spending moments like this with you."