20. BAFFLING BLACK

𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑶𝑷𝑯𝑰𝑳𝑰𝑨

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Dear Regulus,

Honestly? The holidays this year must have been donned upon me by the devil itself. It's a living hell here with your brother and James running around. Remus and Peter are supposed to join us tomorrow, and I think I'm going to run away. Of course, as expected, Lily has been constantly verbally assaulted by my older brother and part of me wishes she stayed at hers, just for the sake of her sanity. Kaelyn and Adan are doing well, seeing as they won't stop looking at each other with those huge heart eyes.

I was able to go gift shopping the other day, so it was good to get a bit of a break. And you asked about my nightmares; they have mostly gone away. I've been taking the dreamless sleep potion more often than not, so I suppose that's why. And I seriously can't thank you enough for it; it's a like saver - don't know what I'd do without you, Reg.

Anyway, pray for my health and sanity (don't worry, I'll do the same for you). How have you been holding up on your end? I hope you enjoy the holidays as best as you can, and my offer of you coming over still holds. The Potter house always loves guests. I should get going before James runs in and asks me what I'm up to.

Happy holidays,

Evaleigne Potter.

Dear Eva,

I'm glad to hear you're holding up, even if it's barely by a thin thread. I'd love more than anything to get out of this house, but I'm sure I of all people spending the holidays with Sirius will bring down a living hell on all of us.

I've been doing alright, as much as that can be in the noble house of Black. Mother and father haven't been too chatty, not that I expected them to talk about much. We're having a pureblood ball again this year, so maybe seeing my cousins will give me a bit more company than just Kreacher, my house elf.

I will definitely pray for your health and sanity, and you better hold true on your end of the deal. I'm hoping I can somehow find a way to stay at Evan's or Cissy's, so maybe I will be able to 'enjoy the holidays'. The same goes for you, I hope you have a splendid holiday season with your friends and family. Don't let James get too under your skin, and take care of Sirius for me.

Sincerely,

Regulus Black.

James and Eva had gone through the first days of the holiday break without a mere glance or word to one another. They were both completely fine with that arrangement and never even cast a side-eyed glance. Well, Eva was fine with it. James seemed to think otherwise as he sauntered over the spot on the couch where his younger sister sat. It was one of the first times she had been alone, without her dear friends or the marauders, and of course, it was too good to be true.