13. EARNEST EYES

𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑶𝑷𝑯𝑰𝑳𝑰𝑨

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

September first came quicker and quicker each year. This year, Eva found herself with not one, but two older boys, accompanying her to platform 9 3/4.

"Don't get yourself into any trouble," James told her after they had run through the wall to the platform.

"I doubt you could take the advice yourself," she scoffed, raising an eyebrow at her older brother.

At this point, James and trouble were the same words.

They were in the middle of a war, seemingly with no end, but as Eva gazed around, people were...happy. There was no other way to put it. Her face displayed a closed-mouth smile as her hickory eyes watched the platform. Children were laughing, parents were smiling, young wizards' eyes were filled with excitement and adoration.

Eva only wished to achieve such happiness and joy. The battles and casualties took a mental toll on the girl, and light never seemed to appear. But there can't be light without darkness. They would surely make it though...right?

James stood on the tips of his toes, his eyes scanning over the large amounts of people.

"Who are you looking for Prongs?" Sirius asked him.

"Lily," Eva mumbled. "Quite obvious at this point, isn't it."

"He'll get the girl someday," Sirius reassured her, though even he wasn't too sure at this point.

Eva had already put the thought of her brother behind her when she spotted a familiar blond; exactly the person she had been looking for.

"Kaelyn!"

"Eva!"

The two ran to each other, and Eva didn't hesitate to draw her into an embrace.

"You scared the hell out of me," Eva mumbled into her shoulder. "Never pull a stunt like that again."

She pulled away to examine the girl's face. She was drained, without a doubt. Her shoulders were bent down slightly, and there were violet bags beneath both her eyes. Despite the exhaustion, there was an extra glimmer in her cornflower eyes.

"Thank you for coming to visit. Aiden told me you came to St. Mungos."

"Of course, it's the least I could do for my best friend"

The two girls were suddenly thumped forward, as their friend caught them in an embrace, enveloping his lanky limbs around both their shoulders.

"Adan!" Kaelyn shrieked excitedly.

He pulled Kaelyn into a secure embrace, uttering things incomprehensible to Eva. She flitted her gaze aside from her two friends, not wanting to invade their interaction.