"Yeah, sure." He looks back at me to let me know I can follow him but Rick notices. 

"Sorry, just you Carl."

My stomach flips again as I realize I'm going to be alone. 

Rick walks off and Carl follows him after saying, "Just stay here, okay? I'll be back in a few minutes."

I nod and back up more so I'm leaning against the gate, watching everyone talk and laugh. I really wanna go the fuck home. I'll probably tell Carl I'm heading home when he comes back. I hope he comes back soon becau-

"Hey," a voice says next to me and I jump, coming back to my senses. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you, I'm Ron."

"Hey, it's fine. I'm Y/N." 

"You look like you're having fun," he laughs. 

"Oh, I am!" I try to act cheerful. 

Ron chuckles. "Standing by the fence is fun?" 

I nod. "Yup."

"Well, wanna walk around? I mean, I know it's just a backyard but it's better than just standing by a fence, I assume," Ron jokes. 

I giggle. "Yeah, sure." I stroll alongside Ron through the giant backyard. 

"How long were you out there for? Before you found Alexandria."

"A couple of years," I reply. "You?"

"Oh, I'm lucky enough to have been here from the beginning. You must be strong to survive out there."

I smile and look at the ground. "I mean, I'm not really strong. Just got lucky, too, I guess."

Ron stops and so do I. He stands in front of me "Stop. You don't just get luck out there. You have to be strong and brave to survive outside of these walls. And you are."

I look up at him when I feel an arm wrap around my waist. I turn my head to see Carl. 

"Hey babe," he says, kissing me on the cheek. 

I'm in shock and I see Ron's face drop so I say, "Oh, Carl, this is Ron. And Ron this is my best-"

"Boyfriend," Carl chimes in. "I'm her boyfriend."

"No, Ron, we're not dating," I say. 

Carl laughs and kisses my cheek again. "We joke around with each other a lot."

Ron forces a smile and says to me, "I guess I'll see you around?"

"Yeah, I'll see you around," I reply, my face getting red. When Ron is out of sight I turn to face Carl, who still has an arm around me. "What the fuck?" is all I can manage to get out. 

"What?" Carl answers innocently. 

"You know what! Why?" I ask, brushing his hand off of me. 

Carl shrugs. "I don't want you with him." His face gets red.

"And you think you can control who I am and am not with? You think you can just decide that for me?" I start to raise my voice but it's too loud out here already for anyone to really notice. "Why are you so fucking overprotective?"

He looks at the ground. "I don't want to lose you," he answers softly. 

I sigh. "Carl, I'm still going to be your best friend no matter who I'm with. You won't lose me." 

"That's not what I meant."

I just look at him, confused. "What do you mean then?"

Carl looks around the backyard then says, "Can we go back to my house? We can talk there."

I nod immediately, thankful to get out of this place. I would willingly surrender myself to Negan to get out of here. 

When we reach Carl's house he grabs my hand to pull me inside. He shuts the door behind me and pulls me into the kitchen with soft moonlight glowing through the window. Carl stares at me as I look out the window and gently turns my head to face him with his hand, which he keeps resting on my cheek. 

"Are you going to explain?" I whisper. 

"Close your eyes," he whispers back. 

I gently close my eyes and release the breath that I didn't realize I was holding. I can feel Carl lean close to me as his breath hits my ear. 

"Can I try something?" he asks. 

I gently nod my head, keeping my eyes closed. 

Carl pulls away from my ear and I feel nothing except butterflies for the next couple of seconds. I finally feel Carl's forehead against mine and his breath against my lips. The butterflies worsen. 

"Are you nervous?" Carl whispers. 

I can't speak so all I do is nod. 

"Do you want me to stop?"

I still can't speak and I shake my head lightly. 

Carl softly places his lips on mine and rubs my cheek with his thumb. When I don't pull back he deepens the kiss and places his other hand on my waist as I put my arms around his neck and rest them on his shoulders. The butterflies slowly fade the longer I'm kissing my best friend. He then plants a gentle kiss on my forehead and pulls away, putting both of his hands on my waist now. 

"That's why I'm so damn overprotective."

OKAY BUT IMAGINE. I'M CRYING.