Chapter 1- 'I miss you'

"'Cause I really don't care where you are.

I just wanna be there where you are"

Louis POV

“Elizabeth Tomlinson, if you hit your brother one more time, you are grounded until you’re 30.”

My beautiful daughter obviously wanted to say something back, but instead she shot her brother a dirty look and took her feet off of his kidney.

“Dad, he hit me first.”

“Well, I think we both know that isn’t true.”

LJ nodded, nudged his sister out of the way, and walked upstairs to his room as our adorable  dogs, Bentley and Portia, trailed after him. Liz watched his retreating back, then glanced up at me.

“What are you looking at me for?” I asked her, “You should be getting ready for school like him.”

“I’m ready,” she responded, “LJ is only going back upstairs to make sure he looks good in case Ariel comes back. He will never stop liking that girl.”

“I think it’s cute. He just misses her. And, she seemed to like him also.”

“I don’t know why anyone would like him.”

“Oh, hush Muff. You know you love your brother.”

“Sometimes.”

Rolling my eyes, I finished packing their lunches. Liz would never admit it out loud, the phrase “as stubborn as an ox” comes to mind, but she loves her twin brother. It just seems she never grew out of her “I need to abuse him to show it” phase. LJ usually just ignores it, knowing how his sister is.

One thing I do love about their odd and very different personalities is how close they are. No matter how much they argue, and they very much do, at the end of the day, they’re each other’s best friends.

“Honey, go get LJ. It’s time for us to go.”

“I’m tired.”

“You’re 8, Liz. What could you possibly be tired from?”

“Life.”

“Shut up and go get your brother.”

I swear it was hard to believe that she wasn’t 40 years old or something. She was so much wiser than anyone I knew for that matter, but the boys don’t really set the bar that high.

When the twins finally got ready, I shoved their lunches in their hands and rushed them outside. I had about 30 minutes to get them to school and myself to work, and our new house was 25 minutes away from those locations.

After I sped there, breaking multiple laws, they hugged me goodbye and jumped out. I vaguely saw LJ run in the direction of where Liam’s daughter’s, Ariel, classroom used to be and shot him a wink before driving off.

I made it to work with 3 minutes to spare, but I knew I would hear about those minutes from Claire. My face fell as soon as the she-beast came into my view.

“Tsk tsk, Mr. Tomlinson. Almost late to work? Why am I not surprised?”

“I don’t think being ‘almost’ late warrants a lecture from you. I don’t even think murderers should be punished by hearing your voice,” I responded without thinking.

Now you know why I’ve never been employee of the month and why I probably never will be.

“I’d watch your tone, Louis,” she stood up straight and glared at me, “The only reason you’re even still here is because I’m doing her a favor. As soon as you step out of line again, I’ll forget that favor.”