Chapter 16- 'What's your answer?'

"I should be more cynical and tell myself it's not okay

To feel this good when I'm with you."

Reagan POV

"Mum, why do I have to wear this bow in my hair? It itches."

Liz pulled at the oversized bow in her hair for like the 18th time. No matter how much I told her to leave it alone and she wouldn't even realize it was there, she wouldn't listen.

"You have to wear it because I told you to," I rolled my eyes and finished taking the cake out of the oven.

I had come to terms with the fact that Liz wasn't a girly girl, or even someone who had girlish qualities, a long time ago. She was rougher and meaner than her brother. 

I couldn't love her more.

"Is Daddy coming or not?"

LJ was petting Bentley who was sat next to the other dog, I discovered that her name was Portia, and getting more annoyed by the second. In their defense, we had been preparing for Louis for about 20 minutes. I promised them that they only had to be here for five, and I was over 12 minutes past that promise.

At first, I had half a mind to take them to Josh's and let him watch them, but he hadn't been feeling well recently. I didn't want them to catch anything.

Just when I though that the twins were going to say a nicer version of "Screw it" and walk out of the room, the front door burst open.

"Reagan?! Kids?! Where are you?!"

Louis was so hysterical that he didn't even realize both things that he had called for were sitting right in front of him. Even Liz and LJ were trying their best to hide their laughter. He scrambled around the house, causing Bentley to start barking and Portia to join in shortly after.

"Louis!"

After shouting his name five times, he finally realized his mistake and paused. After the utter confusion left his face, it was replaced with blatant anger.

And, it was directed towards me.

"Reagan, what the he-. Muffin, LJ, can you two go upstairs for a second? I have to talk to Mum." They both nodded after my son cheekily whispered "Good luck" and then ran upstairs. Suddenly, I wished they were back so I could be sure that Louis wouldn't kill me.    "-ll are you doing?! Is there someone in the house?!"

"Um, no?" I answered, "Why would you think that?"

"'Louis, I need you to get to the house quickly. Now. Before it's too late. Please hurry.'"

"I'm aware of what I said, Lou. What's your point?"

"Reagan, I thought someone was in the house! I got a speeding ticket on the way over here. In fact, I may or may not have run over an elderly woman."

"And that's my fault because...?"

"YOU LED ME TO BELIEVE THAT YOU WERE IN TROUBLE."

If any of this was going to go as planned, I had to remain calm. I couldn't let anything that he said get to me.

"No, I didn't," I took a deep breath, "I needed you to rush over here, but it wasn't a life or death situation."

Visibly, he calmed down. But, I could tell that he wanted to continue yelling.

I honestly didn't want him to think the worst when he read that message. Sure, I wanted him to hurry. But, I definitely didn't expect him to have negative thoughts when coming here.