Chapter 16

The rest of class that day went by quickly, Clay standing guard by the doors to each of George's classes. After the school day was over, he met back up with George at his locker, as was routine at this point.

"Clay!!" George yelled excitedly as he approached him.

"George!" Clay replied sarcastically, though he was happy to see him.

"Wanna go to the park again? If you're free, I mean- we can try and get ice cream again? If you don't think Techno's gonna call you, that is-"

"Oh! I don't think he will- but I need to go do something real quick. Tutoring. Late work. It'll only take a bit."

"Oh, yeah, totally! I'll wait for you in the library, then?"

"That sounds like a plan."

Clay smiled and watched George leave before closing his locker and sighing. Once he knew George was gone for real, he smiled to himself and headed down to the boiler room.

He smiled as he saw the body of his now ex boyfriend. Just because he felt the love for George now doesn't mean that seeing Techno couldn't make him happy.

His eyes were a lifeless white and the blood had long since dried. This was perhaps the first time Dream had seen him so... docile? Not that the corpse had a say in the matter, as if it did it would probably be yelling already. Well, time to get to work.

Hey, he wasn't lying when he said he had something to do.

He was lying about everything else, though. The tutoring, the missing assignment- and, as he would soon come to find, the real quick.

See, normally he could lift a body of Techno's size easily. He had dealt with larger bodies and he easily moved them when he had to, but he had multiple broken ribs at this point and was weak.

He didn't know how long he had spent attempting to drag the body back from the boiler room to the bathroom, but he got it there eventually- and that was when he encountered problem #2.

He couldn't cut up Techno.

He didn't know /why/. The body was right there, and he had a knife in his hand, but he couldn't bring himself to dismember the man he had considered to be the love of his life for so long.

He didn't know how long he had sat there just staring at the body, but it was apparently long enough for someone to get concerned over their missing friend. Maybe he shouldn't have left his phone on silent.

It was too late for that, though. He realized that when he heard the door open and a familiar "hey Clay?"

He panicked- this didn't look good for him. There was the clearly dead body of his now ex boyfriend on the floor, with Dream holding a knife in one hand kneeling over it. That couldn't look good no matter how you look at it.

"G-George- heyyy-" he managed after a moment, turning to see his new love visibly fearful and backing up against the door that had already shut behind him in a fight or flight type effort to get away.

"Clay-" was all George could muster.

Dream slowly got up and stepped towards him. "George, it's not what it looks like-"

"It /looks/ like you killed a man!"

"...okay, well maybe it is what it looks like- but I'm not gonna hurt you!"

"W-why would you..." his eyes darted from Dream, to the body, to Dream again. "That wasn't what I meant when I said..."

"Look, George, I didn't want to either!" Dream claimed, stepping closer to George.

"Then- then why would you-"

"It was either him or me, George. And I couldn't just go around dying! I had to see you again, George!"

"I-"

"What, would you rather it was me?"

"No, no! I'm not saying-"

"You sure? Late minute changes /can/ be made-"

Dream spun the knife around in his hand, making George flinch and cower more into the corner. Seeing that reaction made Clay calm down, reverting from his murder-happy state to being a bit more understanding.

"...George, look."

He set the knife down in the sink and stepped closer, holding his hands up. George relaxed a small bit as Clay didn't seem to be as much of a threat.

"It really was me or him. I loved him, I don't want to hurt him- but you saw what he did to me."

"Well... yeah..."

Clay leaned down and took George's hand. He felt George's shaky hand instinctively pull back from his grip, making him frown a bit. George quickly shook his head and held Clay's hand back despite his fear.

"And now it's okay, right George?"

"Clay, I don't think that makes it okay-"

"George, you don't get it." There was a slight sharp tone in his voice that made George look back at him silently.

"George..." he mumbled as he gripped his friend's hand tighter.

"Now I can be with you, George."