Chapter 13

Clay found himself alone in his hospital room for maybe five minutes before the door opened back up. He had been closing his eyes in an effort to rest, only giving a sleepy "hey George," as a greeting.

"Clay I- wait, George???"

Clay opened his eyes quickly as the voice that spoke back to him wasn't George. Instead, it was Sapnap- which he genuinely wasn't expecting.

"Huh? Oh, Sap," he greeted, sitting up a tiny bit.

"I brought you your frosty and fries- why'd you think I was George? Is George already here? How?"

"Thanks Sap, you know me so well. And yeah, he beat you to it. I think he brought me here this time, actually- but I'm not sure."

Clay shifted so he was propped up on his pillow, Nick setting the food down next to him. He happily took a fry and dipped it into the ice cream, smiling as he ate.

"But visitor hours start- is that why the receptionist gave me that weird look???"

Clay chuckled softly as he ate. "I think so. He beat you to the boyfriend card this time- I guess we're poly now. Not that there's anything wrong with that."

"I guess so."

The two sat in a comfortable silence for a moment before Sapnap sighed and sat in the chair George had already pulled over to his bed.

"So, what happened this time? Techno?"

"Techno."

"Damn it, Clay."

"I guess he didn't want to break up."

Clay dropped that line casually and kept eating, but Nick paused in surprise.

"You... broke up with him? Just like that? I mean, it took you long enough- but you always get so pissy when I bring it up-"

Clay rolled his eyes. "Well, yeah. I guess George convinced me. It's weird, long story."

"...Clay, how did he convince you?? I've been telling you this at least once a week for like 3 months now!"

Clay gave a small shrug. "He just did, man. I dunno. Like I said, long story."

"If you say so..."

Nick shook his head a bit, just meaning back and watching him eat. He gave a small smile, just glad that his best friend was finally eating something. That was perhaps the only perk of Clay being back in the hospital, that he would actually eat.

Still, after a moment, the door creaked open and both boys looked up at George, who was also coming back with the frosty and fries that Clay had requested.

"Clay I- wait, Nick??"

There was a small silence before George just gave a small laugh. "Oh, well, if he already brought you breakfast-"

"No, I want both."

"...okay, Clay," George replied after a small second of hesitation. He walked over and set the food down next to him, reaching a hand out and casually ruffling up Clay's hair before going to grab a chair.

Clay hesitated for a moment before shrugging and just going back to eating. Sapnap had a look of shock at the small action, looking at George with a pure 'how the fuck did you get away with that' expression. He looked back at Clay with a confused look, but Clay was too busy eating his now two sets of fries and frostys. He was having a good time, clearly.

George pulled up a chair and sat next to Nick, also watching Clay eat. The two of them were honestly just happy to see their friend eat, and that was clear- even to Clay.

"...fuckin simps."

George and Nick both gave Clay that 'oh shut up' look at that.

"Oh yeah, we're hospital polyamorous now." Clay stated.

"Really? Because I think you're just hospital cheating on me." Sapnap replied sarcastically.

"...is that how you got here before visitor hours too, Nick?" George questioned.

"That's how I always do."

"Oh that makes sen- wait what? How often does that happen?"

"Pretty fuckin often."

"...oh."

George frowned softly and leaned back in his seat. Clay gave Nick an obviously mildly annoyed glare. "It's not a big deal or anything, George-" he claimed.

"It... kinda is?"

"Nahhhhhhh."

George gave him a concerned look and shook his head softly. There was a small silence in the room.

"Well, George, you can go... since Nick is here..." Clay mumbled after a minute.

"I don't- I mean, if you want me gone-"

"Nononono! I'm not saying that! I just mean that like, you don't have to stay with me-"

"Then I'm gonna stay. I care about you, Clay." George said that genuinely, and it made Clay smile softly before looking away. He felt his face get a bit red and that same feeling that he tended to get around George- though, for once, it didn't feel gross to him. It actually felt kinda nice.

The three of them sat in a comfortable silence as Clay finished up eating. After what felt like hours but was truly only a few minutes, Nick shook up. He had a smile on his face.

"I'm gonna head home, get some more sleep, the usual. I'll come visit later, alright? Just text me if you need anything and I'll be over before you know it," Nick said with a smile.

"...yeah, alright. Thanks, Sapnap."

"No problem. Oh, and George?"

"What's up, Nick?"

"Take care of him, alright?"

There was a slight pause before George gave a small smile.

"Yeah, I will."

And with that, Nick left the two alone once more.