Ch 33: All Good Things End

"I can't believe we started a mud fight," Nevaeh giggles, tying her long hair back into a ponytail. Her body is caked with thick mud with pieces of grass stuck in it.

Max's eyes are lit up from the previous excitement. Mud is smeared over his jaw and neck but he doesn't appear to mind. His golden hair is stained dark from the mud and water, sticking up in odd angles. "I'm surprised Juliette won."

I smile victoriously, "Never underestimate the quiet one."

"That was amazing," Nevaeh sighs happily. "I wish it could be like this all the time."

Since the Ceruleans decided to keep us away from the main group, we were told to set up camp at the edge of the base. Even so, I am glad to be away from the strange Ceruleans and their judgemental eyes.

We sat close to a small bonfire that I started in the center of the circle of tents. It's a nice area, even if we're "exiled". We are surrounded by thick pine trees and forestry, scenting the air with life. Our surprisingly large tents are made of thick branches and dark tarps forming unique but stable shapes.

In the corner of my eye, Orferio and Maya return from the woods with a cart full of logs and sticks. They head towards the heart of the camp, side by side. Briefly, Orferio looks over his shoulder and makes eye contact with me.

The pain came out of nowhere. It shot through my heart like a rogue bullet.

I was so happy before he showed up.

I drop my gaze immediately feeling my heart wither inside of my chest.

This isn't fair. Why didn't things work for us? They were supposed to work...

It wasn't right to expect a fantasy, and it isn't fair to expect love when you lost the spark.

I thought this would be for the best. I thought we'd be able to start over again. That Orferio would try pursuing me again and I'd fall for him. I thought he'd make an attempt to salvage our relationship.

Instead, he wandered into the woods with Maya.

Maybe Orferio never truly loved me. Maybe he's glad we did this.

The truth of my thoughts begins to sour my happiness. My eyes begin to feel hollow of emotion. My heart sinks low to the ground.

I watch as a fanged Cerul named Miccal greets Maya and Orferio and takes their cart. I overhear bits of their conversation and assume Miccal is explaining that the Ceruleans set our camp away from them.

Nevaeh looks up, finally taking notice. "Oh, they're back."

Max looks back at well, a glimmer of hope shines in his eyes.

I shrink into myself and pull my knees to my chest. I hug my legs and rest my head on my knees. "Took them a while," I comment bitterly.

Nevaeh raises an eyebrow and looks back at them. "I wonder what they were doing."

"Gathering wood," Max answers suddenly, his voice tight. He grimaces as he watches them, "Just gathering wood," he adds sternly.

My eyes soften with empathy. I hadn't even realized the pain Max is going through. I wonder how he feels about this. I look down at his arm and tentatively rest my hand on his. Max's hand twitches with surprise.

I smile kindly at him, "Hey, don't worry about it," I lie through my teeth.

I'm just as worried as he is.

In my peripheral vision, Maya leans towards Orferio's face with a playful smile. I notice Orferio smiling down at her, the same way he looked at me. Maya bursts into a radiant smile as if Orferio was the only man in the universe. As if he were hers.