Ch 2: Lies to Face the Past

I'm a homeschooler requesting to talk with the orchestra teacher.

I'm also a girl who ran out of gas on the way to school and will be late for her first period.

I park outside the large high school and slump back into my seat. My stomach has tied itself into knots making it difficult to focus on the lies at hand. I force my breaths to come easily, measured and practiced to ease the anxiety. Calmness will be the key if this plan is going to work.

I called my school on my way here, explaining that I'd be late because my car ran out of gas. The receptionist took the tremble in my voice as panic for being stuck in the middle of the road. She was understanding and hoped I'd be okay, but I reassured her that I had it under control. I briefly mentioned I was almost hit at the intersection, not specifying which one, to add to her sympathy and enhance the lie with random details. She was more than happy to tell my teacher I'd be late.

Then, I called Maya's high school to ask for a meeting with their orchestra teacher. I claimed I was a homeschool student who was interested in joining their "excellent" orchestra program. Their receptionist was excited at the sound of that and arranged a meeting for me.

I was homefree for the next forty minutes.

Despite the certainty in my plan, I can't shake the feeling of guilt for lying to everybody.

This is important, I firmly remind myself. You need to tell Maya about the message.

I yawn widely as I begin to stretch my back. My elbows crack as I extend my arms before I slump back into my original position. My eyes droop with deep exhaustion. Sleep whispers seductively into my mind, almost dragging me under, but I force myself to open the door and get out of the warm car.

What I wouldn't give to take a nap.

I lift my head to the gray sky, inhaling the smell of the gravel on tar and morning dew. I pick up my pace and force myself to walk like a well-rested person as opposed to a zombie. With every step I take, my worries only grow.

What if Maya doesn't believe me? Will she hate me for finding her?

From what I've heard, Maya started a new life here. I'd hate to ruin it, but she has to understand that this is serious. It could prove the other world existed. That we were more than what we are here.

We were heroes. We're not crazy. And we have the right to return to that world.

I push through the first set of doors and find the second pair locked. I glance down at the call button near the door and press it. I almost forgot about school security. It's been so long since I've been inside a public school.

I hear a short beep followed by the voice of an older woman. She asks who I am and what I'm doing here. I glance up at the security camera in the corner of the small space, noting the small blinking light on its black surface.

"My name is Juliette, I'm here for an appointment with the orchestra teacher? I called earlier about it. I'm the homeschooler?" I smile softly trying to enhance the lie through my hopeful expression.

"Oh, yes. Please wait a moment for me to open the doors," she answers.

I wait a few seconds before I hear the click of the doors. I try the handle and pull the door open with ease. I let out a sigh of relief before heading inside.

The lobby is a large space with gleaming tile floors scuffed with shoe marks. The school's mascot is printed on every visible surface including the floor, on banners hanging from the rafter-filled ceiling, and on office windows lining the left side of the lobby. I walk over to the open window and wait patiently for the receptionist to notice me.