Ch 30: S'mores for Breakfast

I roast a marshmallow over the fire with a stick I found in the clearing. I twist the stick slowly to make sure it turns to the perfect shade of gold. The fire burns strong with orange flames. Swirls of smoke rise up into the morning air, swaying towards Max's side in the wind. The warmth of the fire creates a cozy bubble around itself encouraging me to lean towards it. The scent of ash and wood smoke is comforting, reminding me of midnight s'mores at home and family reunions.

The scorched wood begins to crumble into snow-like ashes and chunks of charcoal. The coals turn bone white, glowing with the life of red fire within its veins. The orange fire ravages the top but at the center of it all, a blue flame continues to burn through the inner layers.

Fire. A living death.

Instead of voicing this somewhat cool comparison, I say, "Look, the fire has dandruff."

Orferio snorts with laughter. "That's weird."

I smile to myself, my eyes beginning to grow heavy from the thick smoke filling my lungs.

Nevaeh pulls out another bag of marshmallows from Max's backpack along with a few more graham crackers. She begins to organize them on a nearby rock she cleaned off. Max has been quieter than usual. His eyes lost to the depth of the flames as if fire held the answers he seeks.

Orferio burns his marshmallow before slowly blowing it out.

"Oh no," I comment sadly, "it burned."

Orferio shakes his head giving me a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, I did it on purpose."

My jaw slacks before elbowing him. "You heathen, you burn them on purpose?"

He chuckles at my reaction before reaching behind to grab a cracker. "You bet."

"Shame," I huff and turn my body away, continuing to roast my marshmallow to the perfect color. "And here I was thinking you weren't an absolute psychopath."

Orferio snickers before nudging me back. "Come on, sweetheart, don't give up on me now."

"Too late. You're too far gone to be saved." I turn slightly to him with a joking smile, "There's no hope for you or your burnt marshmallows."

Orferio pouts before rolling his head. "Can I ask for forgiveness, oh holy one?"

I place a finger to my chin, pretending to think hard, "Well... if you turn from your ways, there could be hope for salvation."

Orferio taps my chin and turns my face to face his. He smirks like a little devil. "Cleanse me, oh holy one. Wash the sins from my body."

My eyes widen a bit, forcing dirty thoughts out of my mind. I wave him off, pretending to remain cool, "Or you could give me more chocolate." I lift my chin from his fingers and look back at the fire.

"I think I like that first option much better."

"Then get down on your knees and ask to be saved," I flash him a grin before bursting into a brief fit of giggles.

This is so weird. But it's fun to finally act like normal.

"I'd bow down to you any day." He smiles, shameless.

I stick my tongue out at him, unsure what else to do, and laugh with him. I shift my focus back to my marshmallow, making sure it hasn't burned or begun to slip off.

Just as Nevaeh begins setting out the chocolate, Maya returns from the forest. Maya wears a stretchy green t-shirt with soft gray leggings. Her long dark hair is damp and the ash, dirt, and glitter have been washed away.