Ch 22: Entering Delirium

I fall back onto the bed, half sobbing. I stare down at my hands in horror. My mind is spinning with panicked images laced with haunting nightmares. My own thoughts scream out for Orferio to come back but I can't feel him anymore.

It's so cold.

My chest tightens making it difficult to exhale. My hands claw at my throat as I struggle to breathe. I fall forward onto the bed in a violent coughing fit. Tears fill my eyes like they always do making everything worse. I scream through my clenched jaw as I fight to keep my sanity under control. Physical pain aches through my chest, it's almost unbearable.

What did I just see? What did I feel? Was that his mind?

The horrible sensation of oil under my skin returns. Another wave of intense nausea comes over me. The rotting darkness ate at my mind like a virus, whispering terrible things to me. His body was torturing me. It was torturing himself.

Is that the cost of his power?

Maya grabs my wrists, bewildered from my insane reaction. I gasp for breath and try to tell her what's wrong, my eyes wide and pleading.

She hesitates to answer. Her eyes flash with uncertainty as she looks over me. Her hands reach for me a few times but she has no idea what to do.

I wheeze loudly and shake my head at her. I point to my throat, pleading with her to help me breathe again.

The door bursts open and for a fleeting moment, I think it's Orferio. Instead, Max steps out and runs towards us. His eyes widen at my state as he jumps onto the bed.

"She can't breathe!" Maya stammers, guilt flashing over her expression. "I tried to let her inside Orion's mind but—"

"I know, I know," Max quickly and tries to touch my back.

I cough violently and end up spitting out wads of pinkish red spit. My heart beats rapidly like a hummingbird's wings. I fall onto my side, my vision is going dark. My face heats up and my fire begins to surge inside my veins.

Where is Orferio? Where did he go? Why did he leave me here? Why hasn't he come back?

"I should have known the consequences, I should have warned you ahead of time," Max apologizes and rests both hands on my back.

A flush of warmth spreads through his hands and through my back. I inhale deeply and finally exhale, feeling the tension in my chest loosen. I cough loudly and finally catch my breath. My heart rate begins to slow and my body slacks with exhaustion. I breathe carefully, afraid breathing quickly might trigger another attack.

"I'm so sorry," Maya apologizes, lightly touching my shoulder. "I didn't know this would happen..."

"It's okay," I sigh as my body finally calms down. "I think it was—, it was just a panic attack." I smile weakly, "I get them—, I got them often a few years back. It just surprised me. That's all."

"My brother's mind is not a pleasant place to reside," Max comments, removing his hands from my back.

I sit up and wipe the remaining spit off my chin. I nod in agreement but try not to remember every terrifying detail.

"I didn't know..." Maya mumbles and begins to lean away from me.

I study her carefully and offer a small smile. "It's alright, don't worry about me." She couldn't have known the effects. I don't blame her for this.

I decide to change the topic when I notice Orferio still isn't here. "Where did Orion go?" I ask, looking back at the door trying to mask my hope.

Max's emerald eyes narrow with frustration. "He left. I assume he's going to do something stupid on his own."