31 After*

Alpha Aaron POV

I have a sickening sense of déjà vu as I find the small village decimated by rogues. Homes burning, bodies coating the ground.

The first time I was in the small pack north of mine, it looked much the same, and I have the same thought. "I'm too late."

The first time, I found a pup. My pup. My first son. This time, I fear how I will find him. I am waiting, hoping he will pop out of the rubble as he did before, but as I see the carnage, my hope is dwindling.

"Eric!" I yell when I see his Beta. The boy is badly beaten but alive. "Where is he? Where's Brayden?" I ask him. I see the tears in his eyes as he nods to an unrecognizable form I can vaguely call a body.

"I tried Alpha! There were so many! Isabella! She ran! I heard her screaming! Where is she?!" Eric fights the medic that is trying to save his life.

"I'm her godfather Dang it! Let me go! I need to find her! They came for her! I can't let them have her!" He screams. I nod to the doctor who drugs him so they can work.

"I'll get her." I whisper to his unconscious body.

I walked over to the corpse he claimed was my pup. I cradle his body to my chest and inhale deeply. I can't help the growl that escapes as a tear rolls down my cheek. I will find your pup. If she is alive, I will save her, and I will kill every beast responsible for this. You will be avenged, Brayden, my pup. I promise him before laying him softly on the ground and howling for my men.

"We hunt!" I roar. "No survivors! Find out where Isabella Sanders is and kill every rogue you see! Let's go!"

It takes two days to eliminate everyone. Sadly, through my many interrogations, I came to one conclusion. Brayden's daughter, Isabella Marie Sanders, was killed by rogues at age six. She will be grieved alongside her mother, father, and pack.

There were only three surviving members of the Moon Lake pack. Beta Eric is in critical condition. A twelve year old girl who will be taken in by a family in Red River and an infant pup who was found wailing in his crib. He will be adopted to a young couple in Midnight Moon. If Eric survives, I will offer him a place as a warrior in my pack. I'm sure he will accept given he was born here.

Rest in peace, Moon Lake. Rest in peace, Brayden.

Isabella POV

RUN!

That's all I can think. My paws move without me even trying. The voice just keeps ringing in my ears. "RUN!" The command moves me. "RUN UNTILL YOU'RE SAFE!" That's all I know I need to run!

I look around and see no one. I slow a little. Where is safe? Where should I go? I whine to myself. I don't know what to do!

Out of the corner of my eye, I see movement. I try to run again when teeth snatch me up by my scruff. I feel my tale go between my legs as I dangle from the mouth of a grey wolf.

He walks through a group of wolves into his den. Another grey wolf is curled up with four pups. I am dropped with the pups, and the wolf turns to leave. I get up and follow him. I need to run. I need to be safe! At the mouth of the cave, he turns back to me and with a growl picks me up again and plops me down with his pups.

The female wolf pulls me in and begins licking my neck and ears, cleaning me up. The male wolf lays at the mouth of the cave like a guard. I take a step towards him, and his growl echoes through the cave. He is protecting me. I am safe. The urge to run lessens. I bow to the male and return to the pups. I soon fall asleep in the pile. I guess this is my home. My family.

[That last bit in Isabella's POV is the intro to the book Raised By Wolves if you are interested. Some bits of it will be confusing if you haven't read Orphan Wolf, though. Fair warning.]