10 Red Rivers*

I smell chemicals.

I stir in the bed trying to wake up.

"Where am I?" I ask the woman sitting next to me as I sit up, blinded by the bright light. She was one of the ones that saved me.

"Red Rivers pack." a booming voice rings. I look past the beautiful woman at my bedside to see a large man. I've been around Alphas enough to know what he is.

"Alpha," I say bowing to him as a sign of respect.

"I'm taking you home." He tells me then turns to the doctor. "Make sure he's ready."

"Thank you, sir," I say not making eye contact. At least he is not going to punish me for trespassing. That man is scary! He points to the woman.

"With me!" He growls. I flinch. I really hope I didn't get her in trouble.

The two leave as the doctor begins checking my wounds.

"You heal incredibly quickly... do you have Alpha blood?" He asks.

"Yeah... I'm a future Alpha... I just started training... I think that is cool considering I'm only 13... I mean how many Alphas start training that early?" I start to ramble due to my uneasiness in this situation. "I'm gonna be a good Alpha... or at least I hope so... I'm dead when I get home tho! Oh, he's gonna kill me! He's gonna go all Alpha on me because I went on patrol! You see you're supposed to be 16 before you can join the ranks, but I'm strong! I can do it.... still I'm dead! I'm gonna have to move home and be grounded until I'm 20... I swear this is..."

"Let's go, pup." The Alpha cuts me off as he enters the room. I gulp as he stares down at me.

"Yes, sir." I nod standing up and following him out of the room.

He leads me to a car and tells me to get in as he takes the driver's seat.

"So you're a future Alpha?" He asks as we begin to drive.

"Yes sir," I answer.

"And Aaron is already training you?" He continues.

"Just morning runs... but it's a start," I mumble. His presence alone makes you want to cower. I wonder if this is how other people feel around Ari.

"That it is. He's a good man. You know he won't kill you, right?" He asks.

"Yeah... he's never laid a hand on me... but with his creative punishments, I wish he would. My body heals faster than my pride." I tell him. That's one thing about Alphas I hate. You just feel like you have to talk to them and I don't have the strength to resist that right now. Though my body is healed I still feel weak.

"Don't wish that pup. Aaron doesn't have it in him to hurt you and you should be thankful for that." He tells me.

"I know..." I say hoping he's done talking.

"Take a nap, pup. It's a long drive." He says. I nod and get nestled in a comfortable position as darkness takes me.

"We're here." The Alpha's demanding voice wakes me. I wait for a moment while he walks to the door before I follow.

"Evening Aaron." I hear the Alpha say as I approach the door.

"Mason." Ari responds "where..."

"Ari!" I run in and hug him in hopes of tempering his anger. He wraps his arms around me and lets out a soft growl.

"Why?" That is all he says to me. Accustom to his one-word questions I try to answer.

"I..." I begin stepping away and staring at my feet, I'm so scared he'll be mad at me I don't know how to continue.

"Brayden!" I can feel the command in his voice. He never abused that power but the fact that he used it at all tells me he's not in the mood for my reluctance to speak.

"I'm sorry, Alpha." I say " I wasn't pickin' I fight I swear it! One came after me an' I thought I could take 'em till his buddies showed up!"

"The border?" He asks.

"I know I'm not allowed.... but I was on patrol. Protecting the pack!" I stand tall looking him in the eye.

"16..." he begins his typical argument.

"I know you said I need to be 16 to join the guard but I wanted to help," I say looking away again. My feet are really dirty, I need a shower. Ari pulls me into a hug with a sigh.

"Go to bed, Brayden," he says as he releases me.

"But I'm not tired now!" I exclaim bouncing. That nap did me good. He lets out a low growl. "I'm going," I say defeated. I turn and run up the stairs.

I wait at the top of the stairs to try and hear their conversation. A bone-chilling look from Alpha Mason sends me running to my room as they head to Ari's office.

They are in the office for a long time. Eventually, I hear footsteps and sneak to my door. I open it a crack and see Alpha Mason being escorted to a guest room. I guess he's staying the night. The warrior doesn't notice me but the Alpha does. He looks at me through the crack of the door smiles and nods. I quickly close the door. Even his smile is scary!

At this point, I don't see a reason to stay awake and I'm sure Ari still expects me up in... 3 hours. So I throw myself in bed and pray for sleep.