05 It Begins*

I wake up early and have breakfast.

I go outside shortly after and just walk around. This place is huge! I follow the street through the houses. A few adults stop me to ask how I am or where I'm going... just like home. I smile to myself. The road leads through the woods a long way. Eventually, I run into a gate. A guard looks out at me from a little guard station.

"What cha doin' out here pup?" He asks.

"Just walkin'... is this the border?" I ask.

"Of the pack boundaries, yes. The territory extends further. A few smaller towns are scattered about to keep order... you shouldn't be out this far though. Alpha will be worried. Why don't you head back?... better yet. Rex!" The man I met in the gym comes up to us.

"Yeah, Benny?" The first man rolls his eyes at the childish nickname.

"You mind escorting the pup back? Don't feel right sendin' him back alone given... current circumstances." He says.

"You mean the other packs that are about to attack?" I say and both men look at me.

"Yeah... how'd you?..." Benny stammers.

"Guess Alpha talks shop around you," Rex says. I nod.

"Ari and Beta James were discussing it... are you guys the warriors Ari said were ready to fight?" I ask.

"That's us!" Benny says grinning. "I'm Ben and this is Rex. First line of defense along with the rest of the men patrolling the borders... you really need to stick close to the pack house tho. They could attack any time."

"Sorry, sir... I can go back on my own I don't want to take you away from your duties." I tell him.

"No... we can't let you do that. You know the first order of business is to protect the pups and you're the Alpha's. He'd kill us if we sent you off on your own." Rex says heading back towards the houses. "You comin' pup?" I run to meet him as he walks quickly.

"You know I got a boy your age... I'll introduce you before I head back," Rex says as we speed walk.

"I'd like that... the pups treat me different than the adults... I don't think they like me." I tell him.

"They just don't know you. Keep your chin up. They'll come around." As Rex finishes his sentence he stops cold sniffing the air. "No." He whispers then turns to me. "Run back to town. Go into the first house you find with people in it. Don't look back."

"What's wrong? What's going on? Are they attacking? Where's Ari? Are they close? Can I make it back in ti..."

"Brayden!" Rex stops my rant. "GO NOW!" He turns away from me shifting into his wolf.

"Woh!" I've never been this close when someone shifts! "Cool!" Rex growls nudging me in the right direction. "I'm goin'!" I say and take off running.

I hadn't realized how far out I was when walking but running back is difficult. Before long I'm panting my legs are sore and my heart is racing. I can hear the growls behind me and turn to look only to trip and fall on my face.

"Owww!" I groan pulling myself to a seated position. I look around and see I'm nearly to the edge of town. I reach up and touch my mouth to feel that I have a busted lip and a loose tooth. Fun fun! A growl pulls me from my thoughts as a massive brownish-red wolf runs at me. I dive to the ground face first covering my head. The wolf sniffs me then grabs the middle of the back of my shirt picking me up. I am shocked until I take a whiff of him.

"Ari?" I ask. He huffs and takes off running to the pack house. I'll take that as a yes. He drops me at the door and pushes me towards it with his nose. "Yes sir," I say taking the handle. I turn back to him. "Be safe Ari." He nods and runs back toward the battle letting out an enormous howl. As soon as I'm through the door someone grabs me pulling me into a safe room.