19 Mate Bond*

Ari has been running to Red Rivers almost every day! He's gone more than he's here, and when he's here, his head is not. I miss him even more. Stupid Mates ruin everything! Now, all of a sudden, he's been here for almost a week, and he's going crazy without her.

"Ari." I say as I enter his office.

"What?!" He yells, and I shut up quick.

"S... sorry, Alpha." I stammer. I hate when Ari is mad.

"Hey, no. I'm sorry, Bray... I'm a little on edge it's not your fault." He tells me.

"A little?" I ask, trying to remove the tension.

"Well, maybe a lot... I miss Lilly." I really feel for the guy. I'm starting to think mates aren't a good thing.

"Why are we cursed with mates if all they bring is pain? If she's gonna torture me like this, I don't want my mate. I'll just reject her and move on with my life. I mean, seriously, look at you!" I ramble. Ari sighs and stands up.

"Let's take a walk pup." He says. We head outside and end up in his favorite escape. The hedge maze in the garden.

"You know this is where I met Lilly... another male had her pinned against the wall. I nearly killed the guy." He says. Another reason not to have a mate, uncontrollable rage. "She calmed me... and then she scared the crap out of him. She is so strong. Put me in my place, too. You know she can shake off an Alpha command?"

"No, I didn't... why are you telling me all this?" I ask.

"Brayden, all you've seen is me without her, and it scares you." He says. I start to argue, but he cuts me off. "You are scared of me. I can see it in your face. I don't want that. You know I'd tear apart the world if you went missing too. You're family, and now Lilly is family. I miss her. Kinda like how you've been missing me, I'd guess."

"Yeah... you kinda ditched me... I miss you, Ari, but all you care about is her." I tell him.

"Listen." He says, turning to face me as we reach the center of the maze. "I will never leave you. You're my pup and my brother. I love you, Brey, and that's not something I freely admit to many people. Lilly is my mate, and I'm gonna spend a lot of time with her, but I will always make time for you... and we still have Alpha training to look forward to."

"I'm still not sure mates are worth it it." I mumble.

"They are beyond worth it, Brayden. You knew me before, and you've seen me with Lilly... do you notice a difference?" He asks.

"You smile a lot around her." I answer.

"Anything else?" He pushes.

"Well... I mean, yeah... you seem to relax around her... you kinda chill. It's almost like she takes a weight off your shoulders." I explain as he nods.

"She does. She provides balance to me that I didn't realize I needed. She makes me better. Mates complete us. You will realize that when you meet yours and you'll never want to let her go." He tells me.

"I guess we'll just have to wait and see." I say.

"You still got a little over four years until you can find her... just remember mates are a blessing. Love and cherish her always... promise me you won't reject her right away. Give her at least a month. Get to know her. You may be surprised." I mean, I guess he has a point. Having a mate can't be all bad.

"Yeah Ari, I promise." I say, and he smiles as he gives me a hug.

"You won't regret it."

After our walk, Ari went back to normal. I guess just talking about his mate put him in a better mood. He is still somewhat temperamental, but I think as soon as he can see Lilly again, he will be happy. I want that for him. It's been a week since the last time he ran over to Red Rivers.

"Hi Ari." I greet him as I enter his office. He's been letting me help with his paperwork. It's not exactly fun anymore, but it is Alpha training, so I'll take what I can get. Even if he's just using me to get it done. "Bye Ari?" I say as he stormed past me and out the door. A second later, Clay comes into the office.

"What was that about?" I ask him.

"Aaron linked me. He said to tell you he's sorry for running out, but he finally got the go-ahead to go back to Red Rivers." Clay tells me.

"About time! I thought he was gonna snap. Why couldn't he go anyway?" I ask.

"He upset Alpha Mason. Kept her out late. It was kinda punishment for both of them." He answers.

"Well, if the Red Rivers ban has been lifted, I'm gonna head over too. I wanna hang out with the guys over there, and then maybe I'll get to see Lilly once her and Ari are done with whatever they are gonna do." I say.

"Alright, but find EV as soon as you get there and have her link me so I know you're okay." Clay says.

"Sure thing, boss man!" I give him a salute and run out the door.

I shift and run straight for the border. As I approach, I smell something off.

Rogues!