Ch 23: Searching the Crowds

Start from the beginning

I let the door shut behind me and silence envelops me. The room must be soundproof. It doesn't stop the door from vibrating from the bassline outside. The soft white light of the hallway is comforting to my eyes after the seizure-inducing lightshow.

I lean against a nearby wall and stare at the soft decorations of lotuses. I take a few moments to recover before reality catches up with me.

What do I do now?

A soft giggle catches my attention. I look over at one of the adjacent doors. A thick veil of red fabric covers the opening as light spills from it. I tilt my head and stand up straight. I tiptoe over to the billowing veils before pulling back the heavy silk.

"You look like one of our performers," a young woman giggles excitedly. "He was always my favorite..." she sighs happily.

"It's the eyes. So gorgeous... Did your mother give you those or were you blessed by the gods?" another girl asks with a sugary voice.

I make a face and begin to move away from the door, knowing better than to look inside.

"Ladies I appreciate the special treatment but I'm a bit preoccupied," an extremely familiar voice says. The deep tone. The slight lift in his words from his unique accent.

That's Orferio.

I whip back around and peek through the veil again, unable to stop myself.

"Don't you have a little time to spare?" an older woman whines. "I'm sure you could make time for us... we could give you the special treatment, hunter of the stars."

My eyes widen in horror and I look further in. It can't be him! What on earth is he doing?!

The sight breaks my heart.

Orferio sits at the center of the room atop of a velvety throne with a crooked crown of gold on his head. His eyes are dark with lust and hunger as he looks over the girls around him. His face is slightly changed but it's too small to notice. He wears a thick cape of feathers and silk with one end draped over a young girl with lust in her eyes.

Their faces shimmer with glitter under the low vibe lightning with lips dark as blood. They are dressed in skimpy outfits with necklines plunging down to their stomachs. Black lace wraps around their necks as the rest of the outfit fails to cover anything else. Tulle red fluff comes off the back like a bunny tail. Their boots are laced up to their knees with ripped fishnets to reveal their smooth skin and thighs thick as honey. Their hair varied in style but beautifully cared for.

The girls aren't even human. Instead of normal ears, they have actual bunny ears attached to their heads made of real skin. Their fuzzy ears twitch occasionally or flop over in a "cute" fashion. At the base of their ears are small trinkets and earrings. Their noses are turned up with a soft pink fuzz covering it. Unfortunately, they have no buck teeth to ruin the effect of their beauty.

And there Orferio sits, lap deep in literal Playboy Bunnies.

My lips curl back into a furious snap before I pull back from the curtain. My face flushes with anger as I glare at the veils wishing this place could burn like McDonald's.

Not only that, I'm embarrassed I ever thought Orferio could love me.

After one argument, he runs to these girls to lick his wounds. He isn't even gathering information! He's just messing around. It was foolish to think he would ever do anything good for the sake of good. He lied to us!

"I'll kiss you so hard, your lips will go numb," a girl with a high voice promises loud enough for me to hear.

Orferio chuckles roughly, "I'd like to see you try, little darling..."