Chapter 12: Iron Defensive

"Haah! It's a good thing we got here in time!" Prinz Eugen calls out as she, Graf Zeppelin, Z2 and a few other Ironblood ships emerge from various hiding places and meet up with the Sakura Empire girls. "Are you all okay?"

"They were really pounding us but I think we're all okay?" Naganami replies as she looks around. "Say... Where'd Ayanami go? She was here just a few minutes ago..."

"Sorry I'm late." Ayanami says as she emerges from the Sakura Empire land. "I had to stop those that were trying to get in."

"As long as our land is safe." Akagi replies, and Ayanami smiles. "Say... Where's Shikikan?"

"Last time I recall he was heading for a light cruiser..." Naganami says as she looks to see a light cruiser that has been riddled with small holes, presumably from San Diego's anti air guns. Emerging from said cruiser is none other than Shikikan and the crew, but the former sports some nasty wounds and is leaning on one of the crew members for support.

"Shikikan!" Akagi and Atago shout as they rush over to check up on Shikikan.

"Ah! They got me good!" Shikikan grumbles as he tries to stop the bleeding.

"Are you okay?!" Atago asks as she quickly climbs onto the cruiser, with some of the more able crewmates hoisting her onto the deck. "What in the world caused this?!"

"That redheaded light cruiser came at us AA guns akimbo." Shikikan replies. "I may or may not have taken a few hits before the Ironbloods came to save our asses."

"No need to thank us." Graf Zeppelin says as she slowly sails next to the swiss cheese ship. "I think the sirens did a good job."

"Sirens?" Naganami asks. "What are you talking about?"

"My dive bombers are equipped with these air sirens that activate when they go for a dive. That was the wailing noise that everyone was hearing." Zeppelin replies as she demonstrates with one of her planes.

"No wonder... That had me scared senseless!" Shikikan says.

"That's kind of the purpose." Zeppelin chuckles softly. "It's meant to frighten the enemy like that and distract them from firing upon you or your allies."

"It sure distracted them all right." Shikikan chuckles but he stops laughing as pain begins searing through various gunshot wounds.

"Take it easy Shikikan." Atago says. "You're wounded."

"Let's all get onto dry land. I'm afraid this cruiser's going to sink from how many holes those eagle girls put in it." Takao adds.

"I'll carry him." Akagi quickly says as she sails over and Atago carefully lifts up Shikikan before passing him over to the carrier. "Everyone else, a patrol boat should be meeting up with you soon." The crew members simply nod in agreement, and with that Akagi carries Shikikan onto dry land before carefully setting him on the ground. "I may be no medic but I can surely dress these wounds and stop any further bleeding."

"I brought along some medical stuff just in case there were any wounded, but it seems like only Shikikan has taken any hits." Z2 says as she walks over with a first aid kit. "You said you have experience?"

"More than just basic training." Akagi replies. "Anything serious we can treat in one of the medical buildings."

"Fair enough." Z2 says as she hands over the kit to Akagi and the carrier goes to work, beginning by taking off Shikikan's bloodstained coat, exposing the tee he wears underneath and the wounds that he suffered.

"Looks like there are only extremity wounds... This makes it easier than I thought." Akagi says in her head as she begins cutting strips of gauze and wrapping up the various wounds just tight enough that they're not uncomfortable. A couple of pins are in her mouth as she begins pinning the bandaging in place, and Kaga can only look in surprise at how well her sister is doing.

"I thought you only said more than basic training..." Kaga says.

"Never underestimate the ingenuity of the Sakura Empire." Akagi replies as she pins the last wrap in place. When she's all done, Shikikan slowly gets back on his feet and gives himself one last checkover before giving Akagi a thumbs up.

"Thank you!" Shikikan says.

"Any time!" Akagi replies.

"I think we're all good here." Eugen says. "Until we meet again."

"Until we meet again." Shikikan replies as the Ironbloods take their leave, leaving the Sakura Empire girls to their own land once more.