CHAPTER 3

The next coming weeks dragged for Else, not even evenings with Ulf could satire her boredom. She found herself reading books on the Christian god, and their Saxon history, but even they began to grow tiresome. However, her father began to speak to her more frequently, telling her of what she must do and what was to happen. It made her afraid, but she would follow his orders.

After leaving Uhtred with his shadow queen, they had travelled to Cynuit, the place with the golden altar, and ransacked what they could. They made camp soon after, in the forest land of Wessex after hearing of Guthred and Ragnar's invasion upon the Kingdom had been successful. They planned to join forces is what Loki had foretold, and so Skorpa did so. Despite this, they had lost warriors whom where spying on the Saxon's whom hid within the Marshland, how they had failed was uncertain, but nether the less, fail they did.

A Saxon, named Odda the Young, had been sent forth with negotiations, inviting them to his hall in order to try and join forces. They agreed, promising their arrival for the next full moon. When that time had come, they where met with Uhtred Ragnarson. He told them of how Odda had been lablled as a traitor and was no longer of the land of the living. They where told how the great Saxon King Alfred was building an even greater army, and even the suggestion made Else roll her eyes.

Of course, the only thing to do then was to seek out Guthrum and Young Ragnar who had teamed together to take down the Saxon army. The three of them agreed that they would defeat them, and rule over Wessex themselves.

Over her time spent in Wessex's, she became good friends with the Young Ragnar and his companion Brida. She appreciated the company of another woman who was not intimidated by her reputation or appearance. They prepared for battle together by training and sparring in the yard.

When she was not with them, she was discussing tactics with Skorpa and deciding who would be stationed where during the battle. Finally, her bordum has been cured with the promise of a fight brewing in close time.

When the fight came, she was not afraid. The Saxon's cheered, shouting 'No Mercy' from across the field. Else would shake and laugh, she never showed mercy. "Then no mercy there shall be." Skorpa had said, his face like thunder. Her uncle was not his normal self, there was fury in his eyes, not excitement like normal.

She had spotted Uhtred with his shadow queen, and gave Ragnar a pointed look. He had sworn that he would be able to kill his brother if it came to it, but Else had her doubt about that. Brida reminded him of such. "Should you meet Uhtred on the battle field there can be no doubt."

"No mercy." The blonde man answered.

"Hm." Was the only sound that came from Else.

"We should not be holding back, Lord." Ragnar presses to Guthrum. "We should attack with every man."

"Agreed," Else came to stand beside them. "We look weak, Guthrum."

"I will decide how we fight, and you will follow my orders." The older warrior stood his ground.

"Yes, Lord." Ragnar sighed.

"He will be our defeat." Else spoke once he was out of distance.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because my father said so." She glanced up at him.

Once more, Ragnar sighed before walking away. "Let us pray he is wrong."

"My father is never wrong."

As each man got into position, she watched as the opposition did so too, on Uhtred's command they began to form a shield wall. Of course, the Dane raised Saxon gave away their best defence tactic. While Ragnar marched at the front with shields, Else took her stance at the back on horseback alongside Skorpa and Guthrum, she was much too agile to be weighed down by a shield. It stopped her moving as quick as she could. On her uncles command, they moved forward backing Ragnar's men.