Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Was it an in-person recommendation?"

She shook her head, "No. We received a letter and it was signed."

"Did you verify that?"

She shook her head again, "We just took the letter at face value. The signature alone was enough for us."

Devin and I looked at each other briefly, "So you don't actually know if that letter came from your friend at all. Forgive my tone your Majesty but that's just plain negligent. If he turns out to be who I think he is and if my mate gets hurt because of it, you will be the one to blame."

She looked at me apologetically, "It was never my intention for this to happen."

I was going to reply but I knew if Brooklyn was here, she would stop me from doing so and I knew she would be right. Arguing right now wasn't worth it. What's done is done and I can't change that. I just had to move forward and hope that I could find Brooklyn before it was too late.

So, instead, I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath to calm myself down before opening them again,

"No one saw her leave this room, so they must've gotten out of the castle via this room."

"Other than the main door, there's no other way out of here."

"There has to be. We're just not seeing it. This might sound a bit weird but is there any way you can scan this room?"

Devin raised an eyebrow at me but then her eyes widened in realisation, "You think there's a hidden door in here somewhere."

I nodded, "It's the only thing that makes sense right now."

She nodded and smiled, "It does make sense."

She then turned to the Queen who nodded her head and gestured for her to continue. Devin lifted her hand out in front of her and closed her eyes and a light blue hue appeared from her palm. She raised her hand up over her head and the light spread to the rest of the room, drowning everything in a sea of blue. It didn't take very long for a section of the wall behind us to glow pink in what looked to be an outline of a door,

"Very crafty." The Queen spoke out, making me and Devin hum in agreement. It was a genius way to get in and out without being seen by anyone else, but I knew there couldn't have been any other way for them to get out of this room.

Devin placed her hand on the wall, and it started to glow even brighter as it parted to reveal a hidden tunnel. We all looked into it and just as I went to walk in, a hand was placed on my shoulder, stopping me from doing so. I turned my head to see that it was Devin,

"You should know better than anyone else not to walk in there. We don't know if it's a trap or an ambush and the last thing we need is to go in unprepared."

"She could be on the other side of this. We could be so close."

She gave me a sad smile, "I know, which is why we need to be prepared. For her sake."

I sighed and nodded. She was right. I couldn't go in without preparing first. It would be negligent of me, even more so considering my status.

Devin removed her hand from my shoulder and turned to face Queen Anneliese,

"Your Majesty, would it be okay if we borrowed some of these weapons? I'd rather not go in there without a weapon of some sort."

She nodded, "Of course. I wouldn't expect you to either. Please take whatever it is you need."

Devin thanked her and I ran a hand through my hair, deciding to connect with Venice so that I could talk to her,

"Have you sensed anything else since the last time?" I asked, hoping that maybe she felt something that could give us a clue as to where Brooklyn was or what she was feeling,