Chapter Eight

Sorry it's been so long since my last update, I've had so much going on. I've been busy with work and I just haven't had the time or the energy recently to even consider writing. I had part of this chapter written out already so all I had to do was finish it off.

Hope you enjoy it :)

Rae' Rae x

______________________________________________________________________________

Laylah's POV

*The Royal Tour: Day Five*

It was day five of the Royal Tour and maybe I was being naïve or maybe I was just clueless, but I thought it was going rather well. Surprisingly.

It's not that I expected it to go badly or anything like that, but I wasn't expecting it to go as well as it has been. Everyone was super friendly, and I mean super friendly. Friendly to the point where I didn't even know if it was genuine anymore. It could very well be that that's how they were. Maybe they were just naturally super friendly to everyone. Regardless of that fact though, my guard was always up. Brooklyn was the one that told me I couldn't afford to be caught off guard and while it was her job to protect me, I also needed to protect myself if the need for that ever arose. I understood that of course.

Brooklyn.

She was, simply put, a difficult person to get through to.

We'd be on the road for five days now and I still knew nothing about her. Literally nothing. I've asked her multiple times to tell me something about her, but she refuses every time. She said, me knowing about her life wasn't relevant to this tour and while she was right, it was still frustrating. It was like I was talking to a brick wall most of the time and no matter how many times I tried to knock it down, she just kept reinforcing it further.

I wasn't a quitter though. I vowed I would get through to her by the end of the tour and I'd be damned if I didn't follow through with that.

I heard someone clear their throat, removing me from the little daydream that I was in. I looked to my left and saw Brooklyn looking at me, her eyes narrowed slightly, a sign that she was definitely not impressed with me right now,

"My apologies." I started, "I seemed to have tuned out a bit there." I turned my attention to the other two people in the room, who were also staring at me. We were joined by the two Generals of Avanos, Johan and Serena. They were the only people we hadn't had time to sit down and talk to. That's mainly because they've been busy the past few days and now is the only bit of free time that they have to talk to us and Brooklyn said it would be downright ridiculous if we didn't take this opportunity to talk to them,

"What is it that you were saying?" I finished. Serena gave me a smile and Johan chuckled lightly,

"We asked how you've found our realm. Understandably it must be very different to what you're used to back home."

I smiled and nodded, "That's true. It's... big. I mean, Selestris is pretty big but Avanos is way bigger. It's fascinating really."

"I hope General Myers has been good company so far." Johan asked. I spared a glance at Brooklyn who had a very blank expression. She was hard to read sometimes,

"We're getting there." I replied. I couldn't say she was good company, but she wasn't bad company either, so I couldn't complain really.

Brooklyn tugged at the end of her sleeves briefly before speaking, "Indeed we are, however, this conversation isn't about me Generals. I have advised the Princess to use this opportunity to gain insight into how you run things over here. I know first-hand, it's very different to how I run things back home, but she does not."