Chapter Three

Brooklyn's POV

(One week before the Annual Ball)

"What do we know about them?" I asked seriously. Myself, along with other members of the royal staff were discussing the plans for the ball, which was in a week's time.

I wanted to do my research around our newly invited guests. They had kept to themselves for many many years, and I wanted to be certain that they weren't a threat to our kingdom,

"Xavier and Celeste Montreal. Have been King and Queen of the Lattamer kingdom, officially known as Selestris, for the past fifty-six years. They have only one daughter; Laylah Montreal, twenty-four years old. I'll be honest, there's not much information around them, other than what has been published, and they are very formal in general."

I nodded in understanding and clasped my hands together on the table, "It's difficult to determine what they're like from an outside perspective and whether or not they're a threat. It is my job to make that decision. The reason why I have called you all here, is to get insight and opinions from other people. The annual ball is in a week. Preparations are already underway and I need to make sure that, as I said, they're not only a threat to us, but to everyone else in attendance. If anyone has something they would like to contribute, now is your chance."

Commander Warrick raised his hand. I nodded towards him, allowing him to speak, "As you know, Loren and Cole were the ones who delivered the invitation a couple of days ago." I nodded, "Loren mentioned that initially, King Xavier refused to join The Elite, until his daughter spoke up, and he changed his mind to undecided."

I furrowed my eyebrows slightly, "What was his reason for the refusal?"

"They are a private species. Apparently, they don't want to be brought into everything that comes with joining The Elite. His daughter defended otherwise."

"She's smart." The rest of the table nodded in agreement. Everyone knew that it was an honour to be part of The Elite and yes, while it did have its cons, the pros outweighed that by miles. You had a sense of security when you were part of The Elite and you knew that if you ever needed a helping hand, an ally would always be there to help you. While I understood the need for privacy, there were many species out there who would die at the chance to join The Elite, and the fact that he refused straight away, both shocked and confused me,

"What do we know about the daughter? Laylah."

Lieutenant Gutierrez raised his hand, so I nodded towards him, "Not much really. She's been practically sheltered her whole life, which is to be expected. I have heard she's definitely one to speak her mind though, especially if the other day was anything to go by."

"I'm all for someone speaking their mind. Freedom of speech is important and it's something I highly believe in. However, would you deem it as just that, or disrespect? There's a fine line between the two."

"I would be unable to tell you. I believe Loren and Cole would be the best people to ask."

I nodded and turned to face the two guards who were standing by the door, "Fetch them for me please."

They both nodded and brought their fists to their crest, before walking out of the room. I turned back to face everyone at the table,

"It's safe to say, we don't know much about them as a family, other than what's been written. I know, as well as anyone, that Lattamers are a very calm species in general. While we await Cole and Loren to arrive, does anyone have any objections, or worries in regard to King Xavier, Queen Celeste and Princess Layah being in attendance at the ball?"

Everyone shook their heads, so I nodded and decided to move on to other matters while we waited for Cole and Loren,

"Moving on then. Lieutenant Moores." He abruptly raised his head at the sound of his name, "I gave you the task of delivering the invite to Queen Clara and Queen Audrey of Dranthoven. Did all go to plan?"