Chapter Nine

Brooklyn's POV

*The Royal Tour: Day Seven*

Our first week of the Royal Tour was now at an end... Well... It was almost at an end. We still had a couple more things to do before we could leave and make our way to our next destination; Dranthoven.

Dranthoven was one of the kingdoms I was excited to visit. Before Queen Audrey, there hadn't been a royal chosen by trials in thousands of years. Every royal usually had an heir to take over, so when former Queen, Julianna revealed that she was stepping down from the throne and seeking her successor, it was a shock to everyone. I was fascinated by it though. So much so, I followed the trials as much as I could, all things considered with my role. Only the final battle was aired worldwide but I had my sources.

At the moment, I was watching over Laylah as she sparred with one of the soldiers. She said that she hadn't trained in a while and she wanted to get a quick session in before we left. I didn't have any objections. It gave me a bit of time to plan ahead for the journey. Although Laylah had proved she was more than capable of planning for herself, I always liked to have a backup just in case.

I had to say though, I couldn't help but be entranced by her form as she fought. The way her ears would focus and turn towards any sound and the way her tail swayed behind her as she moved, was truly a sight to see.

Something was bothering me though.

I walked up to her and placed my hand on her back to straighten it slightly, while my other hand gently lifted her chin up,

"Confidence is key." I spoke as I removed my hands from her figure and took a few steps back. She nodded and continued her fight. I crossed my arms and took in her movements.

As graceful as she looked, there were a few things I could pick up on. Her balance would be slightly off at times and while I could tell she was a damn good fighter, she most definitely wasn't confident about it. That much was obvious. I'm sure we would talk about that on the way to Dranthoven.

Another twenty minutes passed before I decided that enough was enough, "Princess. We must get going soon if we wish to reach Dranthoven before sunset."

She gave me a thumbs up before facing her opponent and bowing. It was a polite custom when training. You would always bow to your opponent before and after a fight, despite what your rank was.

She ran a hand through her hair before walking over to me, "I definitely needed that, I was getting out of shape."

I chuckled, "I'm sure. I'm curious, why do you never shift? We've been together for a week now and I've never actually seen your cat."

She looked at me briefly before looking ahead as we continued walking through the castle,

"I am outside of my territory now, shifting isn't something I feel comfortable doing just yet."

I nodded in understanding, "Is that good for her? I know that when a wolf doesn't shift for a while, it starts to have an effect."

"She'll be fine. She's a lot stronger than you think."

"What is her name?" I asked curiously. I always found it weird how you could have one person with two different minds; their human one and their supernatural one,

"Venice." She replied, "She'll show herself when she's ready. She doesn't trust people very easily."

"To be expected. She has never been outside of Selestris before so this must be quite overwhelming for her."

She shrugged, "She just doesn't feel safe yet. We are both in unknown territory so I'm not going to force her out. She's still there and I can sense her presence everyday but she probably won't come out until I either really need her to, or if I'm in danger."