Chapter Twenty-Three

Laylah's POV

The aftermath of the kidnapping was... interesting to say the least.

After the Commander took his own life, Brooklyn just broke down. She cried and cried and to be honest, I didn't blame her. What she went through was traumatic, even for her. While I was still in shock at what I witnessed, Brooklyn took it differently than everyone else did. I think maybe it was because she was the closest to him when it happened, so she literally felt the blood hit her and she heard the gunshot louder than anyone else did. That and the fact that she did get kidnapped so anyone would be traumatised by that.

Once we got back out to higher ground, we realised that the tunnels expanded a lot further than any of us imagined. While they started in Kindridas, they led all the way into No Man's Land. The fact that there were so many of them and no one knew about it, was surprising and quite frankly worrying. It meant that you just didn't really know what was going on right under your nose and that made me nervous. I had to remind myself to check over my own kingdom when I eventually returned home.

At the moment, I was still in Kindridas. I didn't feel comfortable leaving Brooklyn here while I went back home. Not only because I still wanted to discuss her coming back with me, but also because she hasn't been in the right frame of mind since everything went down. It had been three days since then, but she hasn't been able to sleep properly. She told me on the first night that she had nightmares about the suicide, and it broke my heart. She was usually so calm, composed and collected and to see her so broken, hurt me.

The sound of Brooklyn moving around in bed snapped me out of my trance. I decided to stay in her room with her, just in case anything happened. That and I just didn't want to leave her alone again, not after everything that went down.

I stood up from the sofa that was in her room and walked over to the bed. I hesitated slightly before moving a strand of hair from her face. It looked like she was having another nightmare. I placed a hand on her shoulder and lightly shook her shoulder,

"Brooklyn, hey, wake up." She continued to thrash around a bit, and I shook her shoulder a bit harder, "Brooklyn!"

She jumped out of her sleep and sat up abruptly, taking in a few deep breaths. Once she had calmed down a bit, she put her head in her hands,

"I'm sorry." She spoke softly.

I gave her a small smile, "You don't have to apologise for anything."

She ran her hands down her face and let out a loud sigh, "You should be back at home running your kingdom. Instead, you're here with me, helping me get over issues that I shouldn't even have."

I placed a hand on the side of her face gently, "Hey, there's nothing wrong with needing help. When Daddy died, you were there for me and now it's my time to be here for you."

She gave me a smile, but I could see that it didn't reach her eyes and I hated that, "I hate this. I'm a General. I shouldn't be like this. I wasn't trained to be like this."

I lowered my hand and opted to take her hand in mine instead, "Just because you're a General, it doesn't make you any less human. You still have feelings and you still respond to trauma a certain way. The way you're responding now is normal and there's nothing wrong with that."

She rubbed the back of my hand gently with her thumb,

"I appreciate you staying here with me. You didn't have to but I'm grateful that you did."

"I wanted to. You're my mate, Brooklyn. I know this might not be the best time to talk about it but I want to be with you. Call me selfish but I want you home with me and if it's your job that's holding you back, I'll make you General of Selestris if you want me to."