Chapter Sixteen

Brooklyn's POV

I never thought that planning a date would be so difficult. I mean, I was a mage General, why was this so hard for me?

Maybe it was because I didn't really know what Laylah would like, so I was taking a wild guess when it came to choosing a place to go. I didn't want it to be too extravagant but I also didn't want it to be too simple because she deserved more than that. She was a Princess after all so I was almost sure she was used to dates with a lot more substance.

I was offered help multiple times from Corinne but I refused. I didn't want help, I wanted to do this by myself without saying that I had help from someone else. I'd planned battle tactics, training regimes and a whole annual ball, there was no way I could ask for help planning a date. It would be embarrassing.

After a couple days though, I eventually managed to find somewhere to go. It wasn't anywhere big, in fact it was quite obscure, which was perfect. The last thing I needed was everyone's attention on us. It was bad enough we were considered outsiders already, I didn't need it to get any worse.

Luckily, I packed a few casual clothes alongside my uniform. At least eighty percent of my suitcase was my uniform, while the rest consisted of essentials and casual clothing. I knew it was a date, but I also didn't see the need to dress up for it and I told Laylah not to dress up either. We most definitely weren't about to be going ballroom dancing or anything like that so there was no point really.

In the end, I chose my navy polo neck jumper, alongside my black casual blazer, black trousers and my black Vans. I had a big thing for black, always have.

My hair was naturally slightly curly, so to make it look like I made at least a bit of an effort, I decided to straighten it for tonight. Hopefully she appreciated it. It was stressful, which is why I rarely straightened my hair at all. I don't even remember the last time I did.

Once I was happy with my appearance, I made my way out of my room so that I could wait for Laylah at the entrance of the castle. It was almost eight o'clock and I told her to meet me downstairs at eight, so I knew she would be there soon. Although I wasn't quite sure. She did say she had the tendency to be late to things.

Luckily, she wasn't late for this.

She approached me wearing a dark blue dress that came just below her knees. It had multiple pleats along the bottom which gave it a more flowy look. She paired the dress with a black jacket and she was also wearing Vans, dark blue ones, which made me smile.

When she stopped in front of me, I bowed to her, "Princess. You look," I paused for a bit, trying to think of an appropriate word. She did look beautiful but was that too much? I didn't want to be creepy but I didn't want to under compliment her either. So, I just went for something a bit simpler,

"You look very nice."

She chuckled slightly and I mentally smacked myself. Very nice? Really Brooklyn, that was the only thing you could come up with?

"Thank you. You look very nice as well General."

I thanked her and there was a bit of awkward silence between us for a while. Realising that I was the one that planned the date, I nervously cleared my throat and nodded towards the door,

"Shall we go?"

She nodded and allowed me to lead her outside of the castle. For a few minutes, neither of us spoke. It was a bit awkward but that was to be expected. I wasn't expecting us to fall into a comfortable conversation straight away. The situation was different than it was before. We were mates and this was a date. Everything had changed now,