Chapter Fifteen

Laylah's POV

The aftermath of the attack was simply put, disastrous.

Around sixty-percent of the castle had been destroyed due to the explosions and around half of the market within the town was destroyed due to the first attack.

Selestris was in disarray right now. No one knew who did it and because we didn't know whether it was an outside or an inside job, had everyone on edge even more. People were looking around at each other wearily because they didn't know who to trust. At least that's the information I got from my Mum.

My parents were stressed, more so than they had ever been, which of course isn't surprising. They were searching high and low to find out who did it because until they were caught, no one would be able to sleep easily.

The kingdom weren't happy to know that I was now in Equanoras. They saw it as leaving me with outsiders, which I understood. It was bad enough when we asked them to accept me going on a Royal Tour but now I was in another territory for Goddess knows how long instead of just a week.

My parents tried to update me daily on what was going on over there so that I could be kept in the loop, which I appreciated a lot. They didn't do that very often when it came to royal stuff so it made a change.

With all the craziness that was going on, one thing was probably more surprising than anything else and that was Brooklyn.

I didn't exactly know what it was but she was acting different.

We'd only been in Equanoras for a week now but there was just something about her demeanour that had changed. She seemed, calmer? If that's the word I would use. Not calm in the sense where she had completely let her guard down but more so in the sense that she didn't seem as tense as she was when we first arrived. It was like she had let something off of her shoulders and it was visibly showing in her stature.

It was weird. I wasn't used to it but I didn't hate it either. It was sort of refreshing to see her not so tense, although it seemed to be only around me. I didn't quite know what to make of it but I was just taking every day as it came.

Right now though, Brooklyn was spending a bit of time with Queen Calliria, while I was spending time with Queen Corinne. Tatum had taken it upon herself to keep an eye on Brooklyn, while Sasha kept an eye on me. At first it was weird but we eventually got used to it. Sasha was really nice as well which helped.

I felt a small tug on my tail, prompting me to turn my head. I looked down and saw Princess Camellia playing with my tail,

"Honey, stop touching Laylah's tail, how many times do I have to tell you?"

Camellia sighed but listened to her mother and let go of my tail. I ran it through my hand briefly before letting it go again. She liked to touch my tail a lot. I assumed it fascinated her as I imagined she didn't see Lattamers very often, if at all. I was most probably the first one she had ever met so I wasn't surprised at her curiosity.

Camellia walked away and went to go sit down next to her brother, Caleb. Corey was with Calliria right now, as she and Brooklyn, along with Tatum, were overlooking the training session and apparently Corey loved that kind of stuff.

That left the twins to spend their time with Corinne, Sasha and myself. According to Corinne, the twins mainly spend their time with Sasha because they liked it when she showed them magic. They tried to get Brooklyn to show them some as well but Brooklyn being Brooklyn, wasn't so keen on the idea, so they focused their attention back to Sasha,

"Sorry about her. She's always been the more curious child out of all of them and she's never seen a Lattamer before so she's a bit in awe right now."