Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

He gave me a small smile, "We're going to trust your judgement on this one. However, if you turn out to be wrong, it's not going to end very well."

I nodded my head in understanding, "I understand. I trust in Juno and Devin's instincts and because of that I'm asking you to trust me in return."

He looked at his wife who nodded. He then looked back at me, "Okay. We'll help you in whatever way we can."

I let out a small sigh of relief, "Thank you. Can we start by looking over the armoury? That's the last place they were, and I think it would be wise to start there. I just find it odd how no one saw them after they went in. You have hundreds of staff here and not one person saw them? Something isn't adding up there."

Queen Anneliese nodded, "Of course. I'll take you there."

I looked over at Juno, "If it's okay with you, can you check over the grounds with King Clarence while Devin and I look over the armoury? We'll cover more ground if we split up."

Juno nodded, "Sure thing."

I thanked her and then nodded to Devin, who gave me a nod in return. We all stood up and made our way out of the room with me, Devin and the Queen going left, while Juno and the King went right.

It didn't take us very long to get to the armoury. It was only a couple of minutes away and once all of the codes were inputted, I stepped into the room and looked around slowly. Everything looked pretty normal. Nothing was out of place and nothing jumped out to me to tell me that anything had taken place here but that could just be me.

I turned to face Devin and the Queen, "Does anything seem amiss to you?"

Devin continued to look around the room along with the Queen. It looked like they were searching for something, but I didn't quite know what,

"Something isn't right." Devin spoke, making me look at her confused,

"How so?"

The Queen focused her attention on me, "There is a trace of a spell being performed here. More than one actually. It's off to us because no spell has ever been performed in the armoury. It's too confined in here so many people avoid it completely. The only reason we know it's been performed is because we are mages. So, you won't be able to tell."

That makes sense. Everything seems normal to me purely because I'm not a mage, so I would never be able to see it,

"Can you tell what spell was performed?"

Devin shook her head, "I'm not at that kind of level."

"I am." The Queen spoke, "However, because more than one was performed, I cannot separate them to be able to make an informed guess. I can tell though, that it was a spell around level eighty-five, give or take a level."

"I know for a fact that Brooklyn is level ninety. What level is the Commander?"

"Eighty-six."

"So, it could've been him that performed the spell."

The Queen hummed in agreement, "Possibly. However, we have Lieutenants who are at level eighty-four, which is close enough to the spell level I'm sensing."

I ran a hand through my hair. We were quite literally getting nowhere, and it was starting to frustrate me. The Goddess only knew what Brooklyn was going through right now and it scared me to even think about,

"Where did you find Commander Warwick? Why did you hire him?"

"He was recommended to us by a very close friend. We usually hold trials to see who will become the next Commander, but we decided to skip all of that and go with the recommendation instead."