chapter twenty

trigger warning, brief mentions of abuse.
if you feel uncomfortable with this topic
then feel free to exit out.

˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗

may 20, 2014

Picking at the slice of vanilla-flavored cake with a silver spoon, the mysterious moon gleaming through her parted window, and the well-known crickets chanting, Jocelyn sighs as a tear rolls down her cheek.

She quickly wipes the tear away and decides to seamlessly stare at her window, simply wishing that her reflections on her mind right now could float away lacing through the chilly wind and into 'sunshine's' head.

"If only I could wish you a proper happy birthday but instead I'm here, lonely," Jocelyn speaks her suffocating thoughts to the silent moon, who's only looking back at her with a twinkle beside the infinite stars.

Jocelyn surely tried to not become discouraged at the end of this significant day for her, she woke up with a smile plastered on her face while she planned her day out like always. Going to the local grocery store to buy a slice of vanilla cake, then coming back to walk her dog, Ruby.

But once it hit sunset, the feelings and worries she was holding back, awfully profound inside her chest came collapsing down, falling out in the open that affected Jocelyn to become drained with energy.

So here she is, lazily sitting down on her bed, not even wanting to eat the semi delicious cake or do anything other than stare in the abyss. A despised habit she has developed over the past years, possibly starting after she moved to Oregon.

Suddenly, Jocelyn felt something brush up against her legs so she instantly looks down, spotting the innocent Bassett hound that she's delighted to call her very own pet. The small dog then places her two front paws on Jocelyn's knees, hinting with cute puppy eyes to carry her.

Alongside a brief chuckle from Jocelyn by viewing the sight in front of her with pure adoration, she picks up the dog and settles her on her lap. Gently petting her to not only calm her mild distress currently, but to also bond with the tiny brown and white dog.

Just when she's about to begin to dig in the cake again, someone harshly opens her bedroom door and slowly walks towards her, their hefty high heels coming in contact with the hard wooden floor. Most likely observing what Jocelyn is doing.

"Do you always have to be moping on this day?" her older sister, Chelsea, asks Jocelyn with a predictable tone in her voice. She then places herself next to Jocelyn on her bed, attempting to comfort her but clearly performing badly.

The curly-haired girl solely stares at Chelsea, struggling to come up with a good enough answer but what came out was certainly unexpected, "Do you always have to overthink shit to the pits of hell?"

Chelsea's eyes widened at Jocelyn's reply, a look of amusement growing on her face by the visible bitter reaction out of her youngest sister. She probably shouldn't have said that, at all. But, at least Chelsea is impressed.

On the other hand, Jocelyn is entirely confused as to why she said it. It's something Chelsea is battling with and can't control except Jocelyn plainly said it with no guilt at the moment.

I think I'm spending too much time with Louis and his bold comments.

Although Jocelyn feels absolute shame in herself, she can't help but think back on a situation, a funny situation, that Louis was in not so long ago.