Chapter 9

"Today we'll be doing a special edition of "Tool Time." Our good friend and neighbor, Wilson just moved, but his niece is going to be staying with us, so we are going to be building her her own room," Tim proudly said, me feeling a bit camera shy as I watched from the sidelines. Tim pulled me in though to his side, smiling proudly as I awkwardly waved at the camera crew. "What kind of room were you thinking about, Katie? Any special colors or details?" He clasped his hands together before smiling at the camera.

"Uh... purple would be nice, especially lavender, and I don't care how the room is designed, just that I have enough closet space."

"Isn't that always the case with women? They can never find enough closet space. Jill uses half of my space in the closet."

"The number for "Tool Time" is..." Al held up a big white piece of poster board with the information written on it in black marker. I stifled a laugh at how he always did that when Tim said something that might upset women.

"We don't need that," Tim claimed, Al putting the poster board away.

"Okay, first we need to find a good spot to build in here." Tim walked around as he studied the area. "You know what? Why don't we just use the far wall over here." He went to where the staircase ended, touching the wall for a moment. "Now, we need to start by..." He continued trying to explain the proper technics for building a bedroom, me holding my breath at the multiple mistakes he made.

When one of the even shelves fell off the wall, Randy mumbled to me with his arms crossed. "That's what happened when Dad did my room..."

I smiled a tiny bit at his comment, relieved when Tim informed us later that the room was completed. It was directly next to Randy's, only a small walking space separating them. Earlier Al had to fix that, since our doors were literally hitting each other's.

"And now, the moment you've all been waiting for, Katie's new room," Tim announced, opening the wooden door for me as I checked it out, the crew holding cameras right behind me. My mouth dropped open by how beautiful it was. It had a single bed against the far wall with a white bedspread with small, pink flowers, which went with the lavender walls. There were also small shelves scattered around, perfect for putting things like my snow globes on. The closet space was so big that I could walk inside, and there was even an area with a desk built into the wall, perfect since I loved being on my computer almost as much as Randy. Tim had even installed a bathroom for me with a nice tub and a gorgeous, creme marble counter with an oval mirror above it with an intricate, golden frame. It also opened to double as shelves for things like toothpaste and nail polish. The bathroom was a pastel pink, so that it would be a nice contrast to the purple in the bedroom.

"I love it," I breathed, still taking it all in.

"Yeah, congratulations, Dad. The house is still all in one piece," Randy cut in, his dad giving him a less than amused look before Randy ran off.

"I can't believe you have your own room," Nicole emphasized on the phone. I was currently sitting on the Taylors' bar in the kitchen right next to the wall where their cord phone was mounted. I crossed my ankles as I swung my legs slightly, carefully not to kick what was below me.

"I had my own room before," I reminded her.

"Yeah, but this room has a bathroom and walk in closet!"

"To be honest, I love it, but I still miss my old room at Wilson's. I miss having Wilson around. He promised to call me once a week, so that's helped, but I got used to staying with him."

"I understand, but how cool is your new room?!"

"Nicole, are you trying to hint that you want to have a sleepover," I wondered.

"Can we?! That would be so much fun! Plus, I could hang out with Brad!"

I laughed before pretending to be hurt. "Hey! I thought you wanted to come over to see me."

"Of course I do, Katie, and your room...," she trailed off sheepishly.

"I'll have to ask Jill. Tim isn't nuts about a bunch of girls coming over."

"Hey, it's just me," Nicole defended.

"Yeah, but something tells me our new friends are going to want to see my room too."

"Oh, you mean DJ and Kimmy?"

"Yeah, who thought my new room would make so popular?"

"It's not your new room. It's the fact you're living with the Taylors! Home of two of the cutest guys at our school!"

"Don't forget Mark," I cut in.

"He's not at our school yet," she defended.

"Hang on. I think I just heard Jill pull into the garage." I set down the phone as I hopped off the counter, Jill entering through the door from the garage, her hands full of groceries.

"Hey, Kaite, how was your day," she casually greeted.

"It was okay. School was boring like usual," I admitted. Even though I was smart like Randy, I just hated school, especially the homework.

"What do you want," Jill asked knowingly as she took things out of the paper bags. I didn't realize I was kind of shifting my weight as I clasped my hands in front of me. I always did that when I wanted to ask something.

"Can Nicole, DJ, and Kimmy come over for a sleepover on Friday night?" I knew the Taylors had church on Sundays, and I had started joining them ever since I moved in.

"Sure, I don't see why not. There's nothing going on this weekend."

"Thanks, Jill! You're the best!" I ran over to give her a quick hug before finding the phone again. "Hey, Nicole? Yeah, she said it was okay! It's Friday night. DJ and Kimmy are allowed to come over too. I know, right?" I noticed Jill smiling as she shook her head, since she only could hear my end of the conversation.

"It sure is nice to have a girl around the house," she commented to me as she passed by.

I couldn't help but smile myself, grateful the Taylors had taken me in so effortlessly as one of their own.

A/N: Hey guys, I'm going to put the sleepover in the next chapter, since it would probably make this chapter too long. I'm so excited to write for it though! With Kimmy around, it's hard telling what will happen. (X Please remember to comment, vote, and follow if you enjoyed this chapter. Thank you so much! <3