august (pt. 4)

march

Finally, the sun is out on a Sunday, and a decent number of students have decided to go spend the day at the beach rather than studying for their approaching finals. Among them are Jade, Perrie, Ellie, Alex, Jesy and Leigh-Anne. They are all talking about their classes and the latest gossip on campus as they sit on a blanket on the sand. At some point, the conversation turns to be about a class Perrie is not taking, and she gets bored. She decides that it is better if she uses this time to tan, and takes off the top she was wearing on top of her bikini, then lays down with her covered breasts against the warm blanket and closes her eyes. She allows her thoughts to drift away, to focus on the sand between her toes and the wind that is mostly blocked by Jade, who is sitting next to her. What she doesn't notice is how Alex's eyes don't leave her body for a moment, and haven't since she took off her shirt. Jade, on the other hand, couldn't ignore it if she wanted to. It angers her more than anything, the way he looks at her as if he has the right to.

The nature of Perrie and Alex's relationship has always been unclear. They studied together, and texted late at night, and made out, and had sex, which is pretty much how the beginning of every straight relationship sounds to Jade. That is why she knows that Alex must have been getting the impression that Perrie wants to be with him, but is playing some kind of game with him. He is never seen making out with random girls at parties anymore, and that is exactly what Jade is worried about. It doesn't seem like he understands that Perrie is not interested in him. The worst part is, Jade can't say anything to him about it, because no one knows that Perrie and her are together. All she can do is stand back and watch as he walks around thinking Perrie and him are a thing.

Yesterday, Alex came over to Perrie's dorm to study with Leigh-Anne and her. Perrie made no effort to hide it from Jade, but told Jade about it beforehand just like she tells her everything else, because Alex and her are good friends and she doesn't see a problem with it. It was nothing unusual, but then today Jade was approached by Leigh-Anne when they happened to see each other at the hall. Leigh-Anne is somewhat of a friend of Alex's, and she asked Jade if she wants her to talk to Alex about backing off. She explained that he didn't do anything wrong or crossed any borders, but she has seen the way he looks at Perrie. It was a confirmation that Leigh-Anne, and Jesy too, probably, figured out that Jade and Perrie are a couple, and it was a relief for Jade before anything else. Then, Jade thanked Leigh-Anne for thinking about it, but told her that it's better if she doesn't say anything to Alex. There is no need for someone to be involved in this drama any more than they absolutely have to.

Maybe Jade made the wrong decision. She now wonders if she did, because she just hates, with everything in her, the way Alex looks at Perrie's back beneath the sun. Being Perrie's girlfriend is undoubtedly the best title Jade holds, but it is also harder than anything she's ever done. It's been four months since they officially became a couple, and as much as Jade enjoys every moment of it, not a lot changed since that day. She hoped that 'temporary' won't be so long, but honestly, Perrie doesn't seem to be ready to come out anytime soon. Her own insecurities are blocking her bravery, and she is only now beginning to truly find peace within herself and with her identity. It is such an odd thought, but for a moment, Jade wishes she could write her name on Perrie's back, as a way to make it clear that Perrie is hers. Though this doesn't last long, as she reminds herself that Perrie doesn't belong to her, but with her, and the best thing she could do about this unfortunate situation is to talk to Perrie about it. So as soon as the sun begins to settle and the air cools, Jade reminds Perrie that they both still have a lot of studying to do today and they need to head back. Perrie agrees with her right away, both because she is right and because she can tell that Jade wants to talk to her privately.

"Did you see the way he was looking at you?" Jade asks when they are far enough from everyone else to not be heard.

"Who? Alex?" Perrie asks, and she doesn't seem half as worried as Jade is, which only makes Jade angrier. She nods her head, because she doesn't want to use her voice right now in case it comes out too forceful. "Not today, but I know he tends to do that sometimes. God, you should have been there, when he came over and studied with Leigh-Anne and I. He was not getting any work done, at least not on his laptop," Perrie continues and laughs at the memory. She waits for Jade to laugh, too, or at least crack a smile, but she never does.