Part 4

The first hour of Patrols unnerving, Mariah uneasy. Driscoll presence made her skin crawl. It was unusual for him to take someone's route especially a simple Patrol measure.

" may I ask what type of work Cyrus is up to?" she found it weird that Cyrus didn't tell her about it afterwards, he always told her straight forward about things but yet this was so instant.

" I'm not going to repeat myself he has some back work he has to keep up with that's it. If you want me to keep repeating myself please ask me something more interesting, I will gladly repeat in which order I dismember an apostate." He said with a wicked smile.

" Driscoll did you do anything to him?" Maria asked.

" how about we focus on the patrol and then we'll talk later." The smile he kept giving her made her hand jolt just a bit, the jolt being the slight built-up of irritation for Driscoll.

After performing Southgate they quickly took a break on a open field, bill was mostly used for farming but At night it was beautiful, almost looking like water painting from the reflection of the pond. Her eyes quickly directed towards Driscoll watching him remove a metallic pouch from his side.

"what's that?" she asked.

" my snack bag I guess you can call it, it's always good to have some sort of Refuel on you doing Patrols." He said as he removed an apple and a banana from his bag. He broke apart half a sandwich they had and handed it to Maria.

"I'm not hun.." was interrupted by Driscoll placing a sandwich and a half an apple in half a banana on her lap.

" this isn't negotiable, eat the fucking food." his voice was stirring strong sending chills and a slight hint of fear down her spine.

Silence surrounded them, as they finish their meal and finished off their water in their containers. Driscoll must have culinary hands, the sandwich to eat was a New York style pastrami sandwich made perfectly. Honestly she could have ate a whole one by herself. The half that he gave her was simply a tease.

" we should finish our Patrol." She stood up to take her leave until Driscoll caught her by her wrist.

She turned around quickly ready to give him an outburst of her opinion on why he kept grabbing her wrist as he did, but quickly she became music as Driscoll was Chest to chest with her looming over her like a great Shadow His musk feeling her nose and his eyes piercing into hers. Her heart became rapid, a hard swallow occurred breaking the slight silence between them.

Raising her head up high by her chin Driscoll leaned over closer almost touching lips until an uneasy noise echoed through the forest. Both of them quickly look towards the sound and ready their blades taken off quickly to the source. Deep within the forest they heard the sound grow louder more distorted and horrific.

They witnessed a grotesque alien absorbing the greens and trees of their nutrients oh, the grotesque creatures who found out they were nearby and its tentacles lunged at the two. Maneuvering away from the creatures attack Maria use the trees as balance beans, what do Marine with great agility and speed firing off blast of energy from her rifle.

Driscoll used a war forward approach slices of the creature without fear and quickly maneuvering around it as though he was able to predict where and when the creature will strike. The alien sputtered out green fluids making it rain upon the two, quickly Maria found out that the spudder was actually acid, stripping away the scraps of armor that was touched she puts me ready for blade he met up with a huge amount of energy while Driscoll did the same by the looks of it he has removed the chest plate. Maria distracted the creature by springing above a slashing it down its back. Before the creature could react to her Driscoll took the opportunity of splitting the creature in half with a blade overflowing with its energy.

"how, when?" Maria asked.

" these apostates have been gone bolder lately. It seems that they are trying to bring the fight to us. I need to put this in the report." Driscoll said shoulders while placing the blade back into its sheath. Maria did the same, she also had to put this on record. However, how could the aliens figure out the whereabouts of their base?

"DRISCOLL!" Cyrus voice Echoes throughout the night are as the two of them looked up hill tours Cyrus.

"Cyrus?" Maria stood tired.

"Oh joy..." Driscoll laughed.

Making this way downhill Cyrus fists stood clenched, Driscoll remove the gauntlet as he made this way towards Cyrus, "Wait a minute!" Maria tried to break the tension but to late, way to late. The two men started to collide like an avalanche with strikes to each others body that made sicken thuds.

"Come on!" Maria threw her hands in the air as she witness the growing eyes uphill watching the Meltdown.