0.3 | Unknown Part

0.3 | Haircut/Corte de Pelo

Vydia was in the middle of the apocalypse cutting her son's hair for the billionth time. Thomas sat on a piece of concrete as she had an old pair of scissors in her hand, underneath the summer heat. She parted his greasy hair and took sections between her fingers and let the scissors cut snips off.

No matter how many times Vydia told him to sit straight, Thomas was hunched over. She fixed his posture and finished cutting his hair. "There we go, Thomas," she set the scissors aside.

In the beginning, she had a rough time giving Thomas and Five haircuts. It looked like they had a terrible wig placed on their heads. Then again in the beginning when she cut Five's hair, she used a knife.

Vydia had finished and took off the long piece of cloth that prevented the hair to poke at their skin. Thomas leaped off the concrete chair, "Thank you, mom." Vydia sent a smile towards him. He ran to a small play area Five and she had made for the boy.

They had a designated area where Thomas was allowed to go for safety precautions. It was a flat area they cleaned out where Thomas was allowed to run around without hurting himself with sharp objects or twist his ankle with the holes in the ground.

"Dad!" Thomas yelled out, Five tugged the wagon behind him. The closer he got to the duo, Five pulled off his scarf, covering his face from the debris in the air. Thomas stayed put in the area he was meant to stay waiting for his father.

Five and Vydia alternated turns on who would go lookout for supplies while the other, would take care of Thomas.

Vydia watched Thomas hug Five with a smile. "Look, mom cut my hair."

"Really, now?" he kneeled down, ruffling the eight-year-old's hair.

"Yeah, she says you're next." Thomas paused fixing his hair and then gasped, "Can I cut your hair?"

"Uh," Five glanced at Vydia who had an amused smile on her face.

"Sure, you can, Thomas. I'm sure your dad won't mind. Won't you, Five?"

Five pursed his lips smiling, "No. Not at all."

"Yes," Thomas dragged Five who was looking back at Vydia with wide eyes. She only laughed in return following behind the boys.

Vydia wiped off the black hair on the concrete column that was placed on the ground. Five settled onto the seat as Vydia handed Thomas the scissors, "Hold these carefully. Don't mess with them, okay?" she pointed at him.

"Okay," he hummed. Thomas set the scissors down and stood next to Vydia in front of Five. He set out his hands like a square and squinted one eye keeping the other shut.

"How about a surprise haircut, Thomas. You're free to choose." she put a hand on his shoulder.

"Are you sure?"

"Trust me, I know your dad. And he agrees. You're free to do anything to his hair."

Five wanted to scold Vydia for letting Thomas cut his hair. But the big smile on Thomas's face stopped him from doing so. Would it matter what it looked like at the end? They were in the apocalypse, who could see the terrible haircut received by his eight-year-old son? The worst that could happen is Vydia teasing him about it.

Vydia let Thomas do his work. Of course, she was next to him to supervise and answer his questions if he had any.

Thomas hummed an unknown beat that came to mind as he snipped off Five's. Thomas recalled the times he has watched his mother cut his father's hair, hopefully, that gave him some sense of what to do.

"Done," Thomas set the scissors aside and took the cloth off Five. His identical black hair fell to the ground. Thomas ruffled Five's hair and put it into place.

"Let's see," Vydia took Thomas's hand and they both stood in front of Five. Thomas's eyes gleamed with satisfaction at the complete haircut.

Whilst Vydia brought a hand to her mouth, covering the fits of laughter that were ready to burst. "Tommy, you did amazing."

It was a terrible haircut if ask a professional.

Vydia said it looked amazing because she was proud of Thomas for not messing it up too bad, some stands or sections of hair were longer than the others causing it to look funny. That's why she had a hand over her mouth to stop her giggles from coming out.

Five accepted his fate when he saw his fiancés expression. "Thank you, Tommy. If only I had a mirror to see it."

"You're welcome. Could I cut it again next time?"

"Well, we'll have to see." Thomas grinned at him. Then, an idea popped in Five's head. "How about you cut your mother's hair?" Five sauntered over to the duo.

Vydia's eye widened,  "Uh, I'm sure he must be tired from cutting yours."

"No, I'm not."

Vydia sarcastically laughed, "Oh, that's great."

"Come on, Vee. You've been giving us haircuts. Why not let us do yours?" Five smirked.

"You're right." She glanced down at Thomas with a painful grin. "I'll let you cut my hair."

Thomas ran back to the column waiting for Vydia as she glanced back at Five tempted to wipe the grin off his face.

-

I love the soft side Five has with Thomas. *intense fluffy moment*

-Aithusa