1.9 | Reunion

Capítulo IX- Reuniòn

Luther kept his eyes on the road as he drove. Five was in the passenger seat and Vydia was in the back seat. Luther glanced at the mirror above, making eye contact with Vydia. "So, Vydia, how did you get your powers? Were you born the same day as us?" Luther asked, facing the road.

Vydia sighed, "No, actually. I had your typical mad scientist parents. I was genetically engineered. When I was almost a year old, my parents planted a microchip in the back of my neck giving me my abilities."

"How do they work? Are you some kind of robot?"

"Uh, no," Vydia rested her elbows between the two front seats, "I'm 100% human just better. Unlike you guys, I didn't come out of a womb. I came from a tube-like thing which was weird now that I think of it. The point is, I'm a genetically engineered human. My parents planted a microchip in my neck, connecting it to my nervous system to fully distribute my bionics," she grinned. "Does that make sense?"

Luther nodded his head. "That's cool. Except for the whole parent part, I'm sorry about that."

"It's all right. You know Luther, I used to think you were annoying at first but you dig okay. You're just trying to do what's best for your family," she smiled.

The car gradually came to a stop. The only building in sight was a gas station feet away with a trailer parked right in front. Power lines followed the road they parked on and a grass field surrounded them. There was nowhere to go.

Luther picked up the decoy briefcase and placed it on his lap, awkwardly looking around him. Vydia slouched against her seat, patiently waiting for Hazel and Cha-Cha. Five sighed, nodding before he spoke. "You know, I never enjoyed it."

"What?" Luther furrowed his eyebrows.

"The killing. I mean, I was good at my work-"

"We," Vydia cut him off.

Five rolled his eyes. "We were good at our work. We took pride in it but it never gave me pleasure. We were alone for many years. That could change you."

"Yeah, well, you were gone for such a long time. I only spent four years on the moon, but that was more than enough. It's the being alone that breaks you," Luther finished. He relaxed his arm on the briefcase, "You think they'll buy it?"

"Well, we do know they are desperate. It's like a cop losing his gun. If the commission finds out, they'll be in deep shit. Oh, not to mention the fact that they'll be stuck here until they get it back."

"Well, I should hold onto it," Luther stated. Five hummed. "In case they make a move on you two."

"Okay, Luther, but be careful. I mean, we've lived a long life, but you're still a young man. You got your whole life ahead of you. Don't waste it," Five laced his fingers together and leaned towards the dashboard. Vydia pursed her lips refusing the let a chuckle fall out but she gave out. She couldn't take Five seriously. "What are you laughing at, Vee?" he faced her with a faint smile dancing on his face.