Chapter 2: Orientation

Mother laces her arms around mine as we walk around the beautiful city. I have only been here twice my whole life because our house was too far away. Mother insisted we walk around to get a full view of the buildings despite Bob telling her to use one of his cars. I smiled at the thought. Mother never cared about money, she just wanted a good life for her daughter.

We enter a shop that sold elegant and expensive dresses. I suddenly felt uncomfortable, I'm not meant to be here nor did I have the right to enter. I hesitated whether I should get in or not. Mother noticed and whispered, "What's wrong, my love?" she says so dearly.

"These dresses are too expensive, mother." I told her, looking down. She tilted my chin with her index finger and kissed my forehead.

"Women deserve only the best, dear. Especially my daughter.." I smiled at her. I don't know if those words were supposed to comfort me but I only wanted my mother to be happy.

We entered the shop and the scent of new and unused fabric made their way into my nose. Growing up we had to buy clothing that were second handed and I didn't mind it. After all mother said It was all about how it looked when I put it on.

"Good Morning, Mrs. Roberts" The shop owner greeted. It was almost like they knew who my mother was and were waiting for her to get here. I smiled at her out of courtesy and she smiled back at us.

I looked around at all the dresses. There were one of each kind. Anyone who would purchase from this store would have unique dresses and no one would have the same as theirs.

"Hello Ruby, I'd like the most beautiful dress for my daughter." My mom orders.

The lady who I'm sure is Ruby nods and heads off to the back of the room.

"Mom, why do I need a dress? I have many others I can use"

"It's for your new school, Ashley. Its part of your requirement." She explains. I already knew about my new school. I didn't have a hard time transferring because I didn't have a lot of friends at my old one.

I found it odd how a school could use a dress. It's only the first day. At first I thought about prom but that wouldn't happen anytime soon.

Moments later, Ruby comes out holding a black fabric. It looked very heavy and expensive just by looking at it. She held the dress up so that I would be able to see how it looked like.

I was amazed at every inch and detail. "May I?" I asked. The lady smiled happily and led me towards the changing room.

I quickly put the dress on and was even more surprised at how perfectly it fit me, almost like it was made for me. It was a long sleeved dress with a skirt that cascaded down my legs to my toes. The dress had a slit on my right leg and I put on the band that would go on my thigh. I don't know how I will be able to wear this dress as it had a V neck that ended just above my belly button.

I didn't want to admit it but I looked stunning!

I paired the dress with black stilettos that had thin straps around my ankle. One last twirl and I went outside to show my mother.

As soon as I went outside there were already a few people shopping. There eyes were on me. I can't tell if they liked the dress or if they didn't. They were just looking at me speechless.

My mom looked at me, a hand on her mouth.

"Ruby this dress is beautiful!" My mom cheers at ruby. Ruby was also speechless but later on smiled.

"This dress took two and a half years in the making. Its perfect for your daughter!" She replies.