Nine

Shane picked her up right on time. There was a tang of colorful flavors within his aura. Jay birds sang songs outside, and she hummed the sound of happy birthday in sync with the birds.

The drive was silent, Layla stared out the window and kept thinking that this was wrong. Wasn't it? Shane is Tyler's older brother. This is wrong, yet she gravitated towards him like a fluttering butterfly.

"I hope you are hungry, because we are going to the best diner in town." Shane said enthusiastically. Layla smiled, this was nice, this was right. The flow of their silence and spoken words was easy. Much easier than Tyler these days.

"Yeah, I am starving."

"You excited to graduate soon?" He said. Layla figured he was making conversation to be nice, but a side of her hoped it was to get to know her. Why was she thinking like this? Maybe because he was a breath of fresh air. But she loved Tyler and he loved her. They were soulmates. She believed it.

When she was caught in the darkness, Tyler's hand had led her towards the light.

"Yes! I am eager to get started with my career as an author."

He raised his eyebrows. "That's cool, what do you write about?"

"Well, I write poetry, but I am trying to focus on fictional stories now."

"Great, I am sure you will be successful. And I know your dad would be proud. I know about his death."

A rock fell on her, and she yearned to escape this car. "Yeah, he is gone. But you are right, wherever is he I know he is smiling down at me."

"I agree, spirits live on."

Silence came again, then they had arrived.

Breakfast went smoothly, they chatted and ate a big meal. Shane acknowledged Tyler's behavior. "Sorry about my brother. When my dad's anniversary comes around, he tends to shut down."

Layla understood that. The day you lost your loved one is a horrible day. That day will haunt you for the rest of your life. Images of their bloody, dead body floating in the ar.

"It is alright, I understand. I know he loves me deep down. We had a strong connection once and I believe it is still there."

Shane smiled, though there was a hint of sadness.

"Yeah, he really cares about you. I remember he came home one day, before you dated, and said he met a girl whose dad died and that he thinks he has feelings for her."

Layla felt herself smile. She remembered that day, he had really helped her.

The school had darkened but he was the only source of sunshine within the building.

"I need to go. I need to go. I cannot be here! Layla was hyperventilating and her hands shook as if she had tremors. Her peers were staring at he, wide eyes and judgmental expressions.

"He is dead. He is dead! I cannot believe this; how can he be dead!" She was yowling and the tears were flowing at a rapid pace.

Tyler was silent and frozen for a few moments, then he got up and put an arm around her.

"Can we be excused?"

The teacher seemed speechless. A concerned expression came over his face and he nodded. "Yes, she clearly needs a moment to breathe."

Tyler had helped her walk out of the room. They walked outside and sat by a tree. She was calming down now, hiccupping and sniffling. Tyler still had his arm around her.

"He is dead, Tyler." She felt like a baby, but she did not care.

I know, it will be okay. I am sorry, truly."

Layla saw a crow in the distance, she sank into its feathers and floated away.

"How do you know?"

He sighed. "Because I lost my father a few years ago. Things are better now; it will get better. In time."

Layla fell silent. Poor Tyler, she wanted to hug him for eternity. They shared the same pain and they fell for each other because of it.

"I am sorry. Then you know what I am feeling right now."

Tyler pulled her closer. "Yeah, I know. It is going to hurt for a while, but I promise I will be there for you."

They had barely spoken for so long. They had only finally started interacting not too long ago. But those small interactions were enough for him to catch feelings. Layla felt a dove soaring within her.

She finally had him, and suddenly the death of her father felt peaceful. She knew she would be okay. She had Tyler, she had everything she needed.

"Thank you." That was all she said. They spent the next hour talking and relaxing. By the end of the day, the tears had dried and her heart had a hue of vermillion geraniums.

"Yeah, he had been there for me when I had nobody."

Shane nodded. "He talked about you a lot. I am sure he will come around."

Layla hoped so too. They ate the rest of their food, then they left.

Shane drove in the direction of her house. They sat in the car for a few moments, she thanked him again, and he smiled and said that is was no problem. He reached out and squeezed her hand, she gulped and pulled away. Too close, they were too close.

She watched him drive away, suddenly feeling cold.

Layla checked her phone and saw a missed call from Tyler. She eagerly called him back and knew she forgave him for not texting her this morning.

"Hey." She heard his voice and felt herself fly into the clouds.

"Hey Tyler, you finally awake?"

"yeah, I am so sorry for this morning. I went to a party and spent my money on cocaine. So, I was not able to get you anything."

Layla felt her heart drop, but she still forgave him.

"Oh, it is alright. I am only glad you called me." She said, but she wanted him beside her.

He was somebody she could never hate.

"Good, I promise I will make it up to you."

"Could you come over?"

He said no, saying he had to work. He said he was so sorry, and Layla said it was okay.

But she needed him like the flowers needed the sun. She huffed and wished everything would go back to normal. He loved her, he loved her. She repeated those words. He was there for her, he cared. She knew he was a popular guy; he would always have girls throwing themselves at him.

But he was with her now, and he ignored him. That is what she believed. He would never hurt her; he is her starry twilight miracle.