Chapter 43: Why Didn't You Take Me With You?

Mulai dari awal

#

Levi startled awake. He was bouncing. It was messing with his head. Above, he could hear voices, though he wasn't sure if he was dreaming or not...

"What did he say?"

"I...he said he was from Eastrain."

"So?"

"It...it could be a coincidence but I've heard of Eastrain before. We need to report this. And watch the other man. Not a word to anyone. What about the girl?"

"She's wearing a mask sir. Seems to be drugged, she won't wake up."

"A fox mask...why do I feel like I've heard of that before. Something's happening. Watch that man closely, I don't like his eyes. He's hiding something." Levi almost fell back asleep. Every part of him was so heavy and the thumping was jarring his thoughts. I must be...on horseback. They're bringing me somewhere. And Jasmine...I should...wake up...

"ARRRRGGHH!" A terrible scream rent the night and the jarring bumps stopped abruptly. Levi blearily opened his eyes. "Stop him!"

"Damnit what happened, I told you to watch him!" The armored leader appeared in Levi's view, sprinting over to a group of men in the back of the convoy.

"Sorry, he was too fast...killed Sam..."

Levi lost consciousness in the middle of the excitement, but some part of him knew what had happened. Peirce got away...

#

Levi looked over his shoulder. He saw endless blackened rocks behind him. On one side, the sea boiled, a vicious storm overturning the superheated water. On the other side, an ocean of corpses blanketed the land, dead beasts still twitching and reaching for him. He had survived. Now all that was left was to march on the Capital. That was when the men came. An army as far as the eye could see. Banners blocking the horizon, the sigil of his brother. A false god, a false emperor. Levi felt anger, just rage, at the injustice before him. These were supposed to be his men. And yet now here they were marching against him.

"You will all regret choosing the wrong side!" He declared. Then he took his first step-

Things changed. He was no longer the man in the past. He was just Levi from Eastrain. Small, fragile, frail, a mere boy. He remembered the sunny sky. How bright it was. Everyone arrayed on the beach, by the Dragonboats, ready for the Sacrifice. The water was calm, serene, not a wave to tarnish the glasslike surface. Or it was to begin with. When Elder Daen rang the gong with his wiry arms, it was like the tide came in at that very moment. It took only a minute, but waves lapped at the beach and the mothers of Eastrain hushed their children, pulling them away from the water's edge.

"River Guardian! We offer you the eldest child of our village in return for your protection! Please...step forward Eleana." Elder Daen raised his arms as a great mound formed in the water behind him. A shadow slithered in the clear water, dark, massive. When it broke through, everyone gasped. It was only human when facing a god. The endless beast's head alone was enough to swallow a man whole, nay almost enough to swallow a bull in its entirety. Its whiskered face was far more fearsome than any of the Dragonboats modeled after it. They left out the devilish, primordial intelligence in its eyes, the hunger which it embodied. Elder Daen stumbled a bit as a tiny bit of the falling water hit him, knocking him onto his knees. Quickly standing against the tide, he walked away from the Yura while beckoning Levi's sister forward. "Eleana! You must come! It is an honor! Your sacrifice will protect Eastrain for another year, do not be afraid!" However, the old man's face twisted as Eleana stayed at the front of the crowd, refusing to step forward. Elder Shisshion was there. There were less lines on his face than Levi remembered, but he whispered in Elder Daen's ears.