Chapter 4: The Rainlands

Levi could barely contain his excitement as he walked Anton and his wagon over to the house on the outskirts of town. Elder Shisshion had been careful to choose one close to his own home but still away from most other people to avoid too many curious villagers.

"Why'd you come to Eastrain? It's so boring here." Levi for his part, seemed to sense that the mysterious foreigner, who had initially appeared imposing and intimidating, was actually not so cold as he looked. The boy's gaze rose up over the horse to Anton who was sitting in the driver's seat. The man beckoned at Levi to come up, and Levi hesitated, but then hopped aboard and sat next to him. After thinking for a second, Anton began to speak.

"Boring? I wouldn't say that. I've found in my time that often, it's sleepy little towns like Eastrain that are just on the verge of big events. For instance, this Wishing Festival of yours, it seems like quite the affair. Why don't you tell me about it?" Anton's voice was light and cheery, much different from the harsh tones Levi was used to on the island. He found the accent mysterious and rich, and almost immediately began to answer before frowning suspiciously.

"Hey! That wasn't the deal, you were supposed to tell stories to me, not the other way around!" Levi whined and the tall old man chuckled.

"It's dangerous to tell some stories. But I know a couple good ones which I'd be willing to trade you for. As for why I'm here, let's just say that I find Eastrain very interesting. You're right on the border between the Rainlands and the Dreamlands you know. It's a fascinating position to be in. A few years ago, you would have been a part of the war if you were of age." Anton closed his eyes and Levi vaguely remembered another conversation he had once had with a different elderly man. A pang of guilt swept through his heart. Grandpa? It's been so long since I thought of him. Is it the Fog, wiping my memories of him away, or have I just...forgotten?

"The war?" Levi asked confused. He remembered that Grandpa had spoken of the war between the Rainlands and their neighbors but he had been one of only a few. Most others on the island chose to forget, using the safety of the Yura's seclusion and the River Guardian to sleep easy at night. "It barely touched us here."

Anton seemed amused by this. He flicked the reins and the horses, which had begun to slow a bit, began to trot once more.

"You really think so? Strange, because after the war, when the Rainland's Dynasty sued for peace with the Dreamless Emperor, we redrew the border here. How odd that you could be living almost right between two empires and yet not worry about war. This place is...different." Anton murmured and became lost in thought. Levi, growing impatient, and worried that the story might end here, kept glancing at him.

"Eastrain's different? Different from what? Are you talking about the capital?" Something of Levi's hopeful face must have tipped Anton off because he laughed.

"Young man, I fear you would make a great Enforcer with your persistence. Yes, this place is very different from home. There, we are constantly at war, just not the kind with swords. We fight with outsiders and their foreign diplomats, with each other, the noble houses are always searching for some advantage, even between families. The ties of siblings are often curses as much as blessings in the capital for they mean one more competitor once the line of succession is invoked. That is our world, the world outside sleepy villages and secluded islands." Anton sighed deeply, appearing tired at the thought, though to Levi, every word was filled with intrigue. He wanted to know, everything.

"Why would you fight with your siblings?" To Levi, it seemed completely illogical. We should work together to finish things while they can still be done. It'll be too late after the rainy season starts. The old man was startled. Taken aback, he revaluated the boy with fresh eyes.

"To think, you don't even know this much. Young man...do you know who rules the Rainlands?" He asked seriously at first but then his mouth dropped open as if he had been afflicted by the Fog, when Levi replied,

"Someone in the capital, right? An emperor?" Anton was aghast. The boy's innocence startled him but he wryly grimaced as he realized just how little the inhabitants of Eastrain knew about the outside world.

"Yes Levi, an emperor. But do you know his name? His house? How he came to unite the North, South, East, and West to rule the Rainlands?" Anton's voice grew louder and more frenetic, his disbelief mounting but Levi caught none of it, the boy was just excited that Anton was speaking faster so that he might learn more. He shook his head.

"I've never heard of any of that? Would you tell me about him? I know I still haven't told you about the Wishing Festival yet but your stories are so interesting!" The boy's earnest face and his pleading expression forced Anton to wet his lips and begin talking. The old man tried to explain about the general structure of the Rainlands and found himself struggling to summarize things which everyone should know.

"I...I guess there's four parts of the Rainlands. Surely, you know that much at least?" He asked and when the boy nodded, he sighed in relief. "Ok, well each of them has a regional ruler. However, it is the capital in the center of the Rainlands which they all must obey. The Capital is the heart of our country, and Emperor Jie's house is the one which all must bow too. While Emperor Jie is fast losing his youth, he has many children, many of which are soon to come of age. One of them will inherit the throne but he has failed to announce which yet. Starting to get the picture young man?"

Levi didn't really get it but he still nodded his head anyways. In a place like Eastrain, where even people without Reincarnations such as himself were fairly well tolerated and resources were plentiful, he simply didn't have the temperament to understand what Anton was getting at.

"So then the emperor's children, they will fight?" He tried to imagine it, siblings fighting, dynasties at war. It was all so outlandish that he struggled to really grasp it, but his heart pounded as he imagined armies clashing, swords, warriors. Anton nodded, snapping his fingers.

"Exactly, the battle has already begun. In the shadows, they maneuver against each other, trying to find some advantage without openly admitting it. The emperor tolerates it for he too wishes to see who is the strongest, but it is sad to see his children at war. It is a brutal way to grow up. I envy these small towns who escape it all." Anton looked up at Levi and he realized that they had already reached the man's house. He reluctantly pointed, unwilling to let the chance to hear more go, but knowing he must do his part as a representative of Eastrain.

"That's yours. Elder Shisshion gave you the key right...?" The boy dragged it out as long as he could, but eventually it would be impolite to stay any longer. He hopped out of the wagon and Anton waved him off. Before the boy went, he had to make sure that he'd see the man again. While Anton moved to the house he asked, "I'll see you at the festival tomorrow right?" To which the old retainer smiled.

"Of course. I don't know where the festival is so I certainly hope I see you tomorrow." He replied and Levi felt happy. Satisfied, he wandered off back home, though excitement kept him from sleeping. For once, he was looking forward to the Wishing Festival. Maybe this year...it won't be so bad!