The Legend

I opened my eyes slowly seeing Jace covering is mouth with his hand, wearing a worried expression in his eyes as he looked at me.

     When Jace saw that my eyes were open, a smile pulled at the corners of his lips but Sam spoke before he could, "Hey, she's waking up."

     I hadn't even noticed him sitting beside the bed in a chair whereas it looked like Jace had been pacing, I sat up slowly resting on my elbow seeing that we were in a big room full of beds, like it was used as a hospital.

     I looked down at my wrist which was bruised and now had a tattoo/burn mark of a symbol, I rested the tip of my finger on it and flinched from the sting.

     "Its a rune," Jace said, it was nice to hear his voice again, "They make you visible, strong, they heal, they can make you invisible as well."

     "That's why I couldn't see him," Sam stepped in.

     "The fact that the rune had an effect on you explains why you can see us. Mundanes can't survive the process, the runes are too strong for them, so...now we know you have Shadowhunter blood," Jace explained still staring at me even as I looked over at Sam.

     "And it wasn't definite before?" Sam asked, sounding irritated.

     "Well, it became definite when she didn't die, yes," Jace countered, it was the first time I witnessed him argue back.

     I noticed a girl walking toward us with a stack of clothes, it was the very pretty girl that I saw at the show with the snake bracelet.

     "Here, see if these fit," she set the stack of clothes on the end of the bed in front of me, "It's not every day we get guests in here, especially not girls."

     They all turned away as I got dressed when Sam wondered, "Shouldn't we call the cops? I mean the real ones?"

     "That's a great idea," I could hear the sarcasm in Jace's voice, "I don't know why we haven't thought of that for the past thousand years."

     As soon as I was dressed a teenage boy walked in, "Hodge is ready for her, he wants to see her alone in the library."

     Jace turned around and looked at me, "Hodge is the one in charge of the institute."

     The girl handed me a wet towel to clean my face off, as I did the boy kept giving me this look, I could tell he didn't like me very much. I wiped my face off as Jace and I walked through the halls of the building with the boy not far behind.

     "Hundreds of Shadowhunters used to seek asylum here," Jace said walking up to an empty room and continued before walking away, "But, as you can see, right now we're the only ones. Without the Mortal Cup, we're a dying breed. Either you're born of the Shadowhunter or you have to drink from the Mortal Cup."

     "Pretty far from Brooklyn, isn't it?" the boy said when Jace was far ahead, "Stay away from Jace."

     We got to a big open door to a room that was filled with books when Jace turned to me and said quietly, "You may find Hodge a little eccentric, but he's one of the greatest Shadowhunters that's ever lived, here," he took the cloth from my hands and gave me an encouraging touch on my arm.

     I turned away from him and walked down the stairs slowly looking around at the multiple stories and shelves of books.

     I looked down at a big opened book that had pictures inside, I studied them and noticed that the pictures were of my mother, Kyle, and a man I didn't recognize...Valentine, I guessed.