Chapter 26

Sasha and I got off with a slap on the wrist, and Sasha was to go to the in-school "therapist" until her Dad chose one he thought was best for her.

I don't know why her mom told me that about her father, tbh. I guess she still likes me even though me and Sasha don't get along anymore, Grey texted later that day. I put my phone down on the table as my mom brought a plate of food over to me. She placed it on the table and raised my chin to take another long look at my face.

"You guys got each other good, huh?" she asked.

"I guess we were both super pissed," I signed. My mom sighed and sat down across from me.

"I'm glad you defended yourself. If the dean tried to give you any punishment for that girl's actions, I would've done everything I could to prevent that from happening. Acting like a child and trying to take you down for defending yourself."

"Yeah, I can't believe her."

"When did this all start happening?" she questioned. "Has she always bullied you?"

"No. It started last year."

"I knew something was happening," my mom said. "You were coming home moody all the time, and every time I questioned you, you said nothing was happening! Why?"

"I didn't want to worry you," I signed. "I wanted to handle it myself."

"Hazel, you're never alone," she said thoughtfully. "I'm here for you. I never want you to deal with any of this by yourself. Do you know how quickly I would've flown in that school last year? You wouldn't have had any stress because I would've ended it fast."

I laughed slightly.

"I'm serious, baby."

"I know," I signed. "Sorry I didn't tell you."

"It's okay." We ate for a moment before her eyes brightened. "I see your boyfriend was there for you the whole time."

"Yes," I signed a little shyly.

"So you two are serious about each other?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said.

She pursed her lips in thought. "So we should have him over for dinner, then."

It made me feel queasy and excited all at the same time. "Really?"

"Yeah. I want to get to know more about him. Boys can get dumb after a while. He needs to know your mom loves you very much and will kill him if he breaks your heart in any way."

I knew very confidently that he wouldn't. People probably would think that's a bold statement coming from a high school girl dating a high school boy, but the subconscious was different from our actual world. We felt so close to each other just by sharing the same headspace every night. It was intimate in a sweet way.

But my mom wouldn't understand that because she didn't know I shared dreams with him. And if I told her, she definitely wouldn't believe me.

***

Again, I checked my outfit over and over. I had healed from the healed cuts and bruises on my face from the week prior for the most part. I wore an off-white knit sweater with black velvet leggings and cute fluffy socks, which I'd probably take off in the evening.

The minute I heard the door, I practically ran down the stairs to get it. My mom beat me to it, opening the door to see someone I hadn't expected—Jared. Like a dear in the headlights, I watched him give my mom a soft kiss on the lips before announcing, "I brought wine."