Chapter 24

I felt discomfort as I opened my eyes. A plain-looking three-story house sat in front of me. The shingles on the roof fell to the ground as I approached the building with plain white walls. Something compelled me to press the doorbell.

Part of me was afraid that I somehow got caught in dad's murderer's dream again. If he opened the door, would he even recognize me? Did we ever look at each other? I didn't know. I know I never saw his face. Who knows if he saw mine before he grabbed me?

Much to my surprise and also my dismay, Sasha opened the door. Her eyes went wide, and I'm sure mine did, too.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I don't know," I replied. Sasha didn't seem surprised that I was speaking. 

She took a step out of her house and closed the door behind her. I could already tell she was hostile. I began to walk back down the steps, and she followed me closely.

"Did you come here to rub it in, Hazel?" she hissed.

"Rub, what in?" I asked, seriously confused.

"The fact that you were able to get Grey wrapped around your stupid, little fingers?"

I narrowed my eyes and shook my head. "Why would I do that?"

"Why wouldn't you?" She stopped walking, and so did I, ensuring we maintained a reasonable distance from each other. The wind howled around us and blew her hair into her face. She angrily brushed it away as she glared at me. "You want to gloat 'cause you took him away from me."

"I took him away from you?" I practically shouted. "You cheated on him several times before I even knew him. I didn't do anything that wasn't already going to happen eventually. Even if I weren't involved, he would've left you."

"There was a reason I cheated so much," Sasha said defensively. "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me."

She regarded me cooly and then smoothed her hair back. "Grey never loved me or even liked me the way he likes you. He hardly gave me the attention I wanted. And nothing I did seemed to work until I cheated. Then he was all over me." She stomped her foot. "But he got distant again after a while until I cheated with Evan. And Evan was the only one who continuously gave me attention after we slept with each other. And that drove Grey crazy." I felt sick to my stomach.

"You're both trashy people."

Her eyes held daggers, and she crossed her arms. "I told you you wouldn't understand." The wind around us began to blow harder as her face hardened even more.

"I understand it. But it doesn't justify your actions at all. You should've broken up with Grey if you felt you could get treated better somewhere else."

"I loved him," Sasha protested through grit teeth. "I didn't want to leave him."

"You loved him?" I laughed humorlessly. Enraged, I picked up dirt from the ground and molded it in my hand. I needed her to be quiet before I lost my cool. "That's a joke, right?"

"I did love him, you b—" In anger, I smeared the dirt across her mouth. It acted like glue. Her eyes narrowed as she repeatedly tried to wipe it off. She looked semi-panicked when she finally looked back at me, probably realizing it wouldn't be coming off.

"You didn't love him," I stated. "If you did, you wouldn't have cheated. And instead of acting grown, you behaved like the spoiled brat you are and threw a fit until you could get your way. And look where that got you!"

There was a fire in her eyes. She tried to shove me, and I quickly stepped away from her. She fell to the ground and screamed out angrily. She stumbled up and immediately swung. This altercation was ridiculous, and I wouldn't entertain it anymore. I slowed down her movements as I stepped away from her and floated into the air. She watched me as I went, not noticing the heavy footsteps approaching from behind.