Chapter 22

Grey looked back at me, shaking his head. "Hazel, I swear, I have no idea why she's here." He glared at her, and she frowned in response.

"Let's go," he said, grabbing my hand. "We're gonna leave before this turns into something." We skated against traffic and exited onto the main floor, following his lead.

"Grey," Sasha called in a sing-song voice. His back tensed up, and he pushed me in front of him before facing her.

"What do you want, Sasha?" he asked as politely as possible.

"I can't say hi to my friends?" she asked and then smiled a bright, fake smile. "How are you doing, Mutey?"

"Why are you still calling her that?" he asked.

"It's my cute nickname for her," she said casually.

"Well, she doesn't like it. So knock it off."

She rolled her eyes. "So I see you two are buddy-buddy now." My heart slammed in my chest as she glared at me. Why the heck did she hate me so much? I did nothing to her. I threw that juice on Grey. Why did she take such high offense? I get defending your boyfriend but to this extent? It was ridiculous! And she wasn't even with him anymore. Was I? Technically? I didn't even know at this point. I was still scared that this would turn on me somehow, and Grey would laugh in my face and tease me alongside Sasha.

But he didn't. He remained between Sasha and me as she continued to speak. "Are you guys dating?"

"That's none of your business."

She scoffed. "Hazel, just to warn you, honey, he doesn't like you. He just wants to sleep with you and then try to come crawling back. As he always does."

"That's rich coming from the cheater," he said cooly as she gave him a perfect smile. "I never did anything when you slept around with Evan." He leaned in closer, never losing his balance. "I should've, though. You most definitely deserved it."

Her eyes flashed with hurt. "This is the type of guy you want to get with? Someone who thinks that cheating is an acceptable way to get back at someone else?"

I glared at her and remained silent. That was all I could do, anyway.

"If looks could kill," she teased. "You're so cute when you're angry but silent. Don't you have any words for me?"

"What's your obsession, Sasha?" Grey asked calmly. "You're like a dog with a bone. You don't know how to let go. Get over yourself and leave us alone."

"Get over myself?" she asked, her voice shrill.

We didn't even see Evan approach, but he stood behind Sasha and put his arm on her shoulder. "Sasha, babe, come on." He looked between Grey and me apologetically. "Let's have fun."

"I would've had fun if it weren't for Grey and his Mute bi—"

"Sasha," Evan snapped. "Let's go."

He was quickly able to yank her away from us as she protested angrily. "Who's side are you on, anyway?! She deserves it!"

The tension left Grey's body, and he slowly turned to face me. I hadn't even realized there were tears in my eyes flowing down my cheeks until he wiped them away. "Don't let her get to you," he said and kissed my forehead. "She's not worth it. She just wants to get under your skin."

"I don't get why she hates me so much," I signed. "I didn't do anything to her."

"Even when I was with her, I didn't understand it. I just backed her up because I was trying to keep her. I was an idiot for that."